What is in your "walker bag?"

Yesterday my boss at my externship came in my office (yes I have an office, funny huh?) and shut the door. My first thought was "oh what have I done." But she asked me to go to a bible study luncheon at the church. So, of course I said yes. But when we got there I realized that this was more for older women. Okay, now don't get all offended, when I say older I mean most of these women had "walkers." In fact one of them told me that she was glad I came she needed new friends, all of hers were dying. This was sad and funny all at the same time. My boss said "Doesn't this make you feel so young!!!" I hesitantly nodded.

Anyway as I looked around the room at all the old women and their walkers I noticed that they all had these bags attached to their walkers. Have you seen this? What is in those bags? Honestly, think about it, what exactly do they carry in there? I don't get the feeling its a purse, but maybe. So I started thinking up my own ideas about whats in there. I am guessing first and foremost Kleenex, all old people have Kleenex on them at all times. Do you start leaking when you get old, does your nose stop working or something? Actually I am not sure I want to know the answer to this.

And there is probably some sort of lotion in there. My grandmother has a basket of lotions and somehow manages to apply ALL of them every night. The strongest scent is cocoa butter, and for some reason that scent will last a long time. My great-grandmother ate a garlic pill everyday, she said it kept you healthy? Maybe strong scents have some sort of effect on your longevity? Just a thought.

The other thing is, old people always have candy on them. When I was young my grandmother had this amazing ability to unwrap a piece of candy during Church without making a sound. I was always baffled by this, because when I would do it you could hear the noise all over the Church. She lost that ability several years ago. Now she just barely whispers for me to get it out of her purse for her. I am sure people hear but she doesn't care!!!

After pondering these things all day I have come to the conclusion that getting old is going to be awesome! Seriously, I can't wait! You can say ANYTHING your heart desires. You don't have to use any kind of filter, how great is that? People will just say she is old, she doesn't know what she is saying. But in reality you do, you just don't give a damn! I told my grandmother last year she didn't have to use her filter anymore because she is old, my aunt almost killed me. She said "Katie, what in the hell are you thinking telling her that. She has never had much of a filter." But hey, thats the beauty of being old!!!

So if you are one of those people dreading getting old, DON'T! Trust me over the last three months several things have happened to remind me life is too short. You should look forward to every stage of life! Especially old age! Its the absolute best in my opinion and unfortunately we all aren't going to experience it. So, live it up for all of those you know that want be there with you! Enjoy it for them. (I guess this sounds as if this article is going to appear in the AARP magazine.) But if you know someone in this stage of life, remind them! And the next time you dread getting old just think, you get to choose whatever you want to put in your walker bag! No matter what stage of life you are in, even old age, you can't hang out in the dressing room!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well KB, I know what I want in my bag. For starters, one of those Butterfly cell phones. You know, on the ones on the commercial for old people. It only has numbers and a send button. It also has a cushy ear piece. I need to call whichever of y'all are still living at that point. I would also have kleenex, lotion, and a tube of peppermint lip gloss. Lets face it, odds are I'm going to out live JR and you never know when I might meet my second husband. =) I am always thinking spiteful things so there is no telling what I will say then.
Anonymous said…
I laughed my ass off!!!! I too have noticed the walker bags. Unlike those people, I will have a Rascal bag. Screw walkers. When I get old I want a Rascal (a motorized scooter) because by that time I deserve it! As for what will be in my Rascal bag...a lady never tells! ; )

Brooke W.

Popular Posts