Sweat Pants and Good Socks

Yesterday was a long day. I had to go out of town for court, not because I was in trouble, but for my externship people. The case was before one of the smartest judge's I have ever been around, in fact I almost volunteered to go and live in this town for a couple of weeks this summer just to learn from him. Smart man. But it was a long trip, and we had a little car trouble on the way back. Lets just say I somehow managed to sweat through my suit and it was maybe 69 degrees outside. Again long day.

Anyway when I got home all I could think about was putting on my favorite sweat pants and my favorite socks. All of my friends always make fun of me because I love to wear sweat pants. I have every color and style you can think of, but I only like the ones with elastic around the ankles. My mom tried to update my sweat pant collection and buy some without elastic in the ankle, I don't like that, not going to happen. My favorite pair in college were these green ones, some of you that read this might remember them. (I can't seem to find them. I don't know where they are, if you know please tell me.) And the other thing is I love to wear socks, even when it is hot outside. I used to love Gold Toes, and I still do. But somehow I have acquired this new pair of socks and they have a U.S. Flag and U.S.A written really big on them. Maybe studying the law has given me this subconscious boost of patriotism?

So this got me to thinking about all the really simple things that make me feel good. Why is it that such simple things can make you feel good? Know what I mean? For instance, you know when you have been sitting on the beach all day and you are sticky from the water, and sandy well from the sand, and you go inside to take a shower. Why does that shower feel so good? It is absolutely one of my favorite feelings ever. Is it because you are soo dirty and then you are suddenly clean? I don't know.

And why is it that unspoken words are some of the best ever said. Just knowing that you don't have to say a word but a person knows what is going on in your head or in your heart. Why is that such a good feeling? And why is a good hug sometimes all you need? Or sharing coffee and laughs with friends? Simple things. I guess what I am saying is sometimes in this materialistic world we forget that simple things are what really make us happy. So I challenge you, and myself to just remember the simple things this week because they really ARE the most important....

Comments

Rebecca Beers said…
dude, i TOTALLY remember the green sweatpants. i can see your right now - in this pinkish papaya-colored tshirt (the back porch maybe?) with those green sweatpants and some white socks and merrells sticking out from the bottom. if i knew where those pants were, i'd let you know b/c i know you love those things more than you love, well just about anything. p.s. went to the indigo girls concert last night - AWESOME. this chick brandi carlile opened for them - you need to check her out. buy her latest album, the story. it's awesome and you'll love her voice. anyway, they were amazing as usual. best moment of the night - they, along with brandi, sing "don't think twice, it's alright." there are no words... i missed you!
Jenny said…
Katie - Did you ever think that maybe someone (your mom, or a roommate) threw those sweatpants out b/c they were awful?? Just a thought...
Unknown said…
i think you should do a blog about your very special t-shirts :)
Lauren said…
Maybe I need to go get some of those sweat pants with the elastic at the bottom. I don't feel the urge to dress up much now that I have a constant moocher to take care of!

Popular Posts