Choir Gazing

I got a lot of spankings as a child, especially at Church. Usually it was because I wasn't sitting still, or because I made my mom laugh while she was singing in the choir. I personally think this shouldn't have been all my fault, she could have not looked at me, knowing I was going to make her laugh. She also sang some pretty funny duets, and one memorable song in which she started laughing so hard she had to drop down behind the lectern and hide. I am not kidding. I will not name any names of the people who were singing with her, but they know who they are!

So, now when I am in Church I am constantly on the lookout for people to watch in the choir. Until tonight it had been a completely subconscious thing. There are certain people I can NOT stand to watch when they sing, they are too serious. Some of them just look scared to death, and apparently some people in the choir fall asleep. I must say I have never seen anyone asleep in the choir, but I will be on the watch. Have you seen choir members asleep?

Honestly there is a lady in the choir that looks exactly like one of my friends from college. Actually she looks exactly like my friend will look in thirty years. It is hysterical. I even sent my friend a link to the webcast of a Sunday morning service, and all the people she works with agreed. I usually tell her, well this week your hair was up, or down. Its uncanny, even her facial expressions when she sings are exactly like my friend.

Anyway, tonight one of my friends pointed out that maybe I am just always focused on people singing in the choir, because of my childhood and my mom. Well people, I think she is right! Why is that I wonder? I am not always laughing during church at the people in the choir, unless it is really funny and then I will laugh. But I am just trying to smile at them. I honestly always try and smile when people are singing, simply because it is hard to be in front of an audience and people aren't smiling. Have you ever been a public speaker? I have to talk a lot in class and what not in this lawyer school deal. Its tough to look out at people not smiling. So I try and look friendly.

Is this just me? Does anyone else out there in blog world watch the people in the choir? This Sunday as you are hanging out in church, let me know if you notice anything funny up there in the choir loft...there is humor in every corner of life!

Comments

Unknown said…
Hey Katie! I just talked to your Mother and she confirmed your story. I asked if she baptized the church floor in her own special way. She told me about your blog but had not read yesterdays posting.
So, I read the first paragraph to her. She started shrieking...It's true!

I will be checking in on your blog as much as Lily will allow.

Karen
Donna Lewis said…
Katie, thanks for not mentioning any names.

Popular Posts