Live From New York City....

So I have a sec to check email and what not, and I decided to blog. Well, we didn't win. I guess that means we are losers. But I think we did a good job, and represented the school well. I felt good about it. Of course I met people from everywhere, and incidently ran into a girl I knew from college. She was at the competition with a team from her law school. I have lots of new friends now as well! I think they just liked to listen to me talk. After one of the rounds the judges were giving their feedback and one judge referred to us as "you people with accents, and you know who you are." I almost said, "oh, you mean the team from Boston," but I didn't... And one of the competitors from Hawaii told me my accent was "hot." My teammates thought this was hilarious.

My mom is here with me. Did I mention that? I love my mom and all, but it was slightly distracting when my teammates and I were talking through legal arguments such as "whether the Pesticide Rule now implies that applying pesticides contrary to their FIFRA requirements would mean that the applicators need NPDES permits", and then she would say something like "did you put on lipstick?" Not my priority. But I am glad she was here. And I could tell you some hysterical stories about outrageous legal arguments that people made, but you wouldn't think it was funny.

I will mention this. The competition was the National Environmental Moot Court Competition. The problem is an actual case that is headed to the Supreme Court. The lawyers who work on the case actually use the work that we do to argue the case, and environmental lawyers from all over the country fly in to judge this thing. Anyway, there were a lot of environmental friendly folks there. Don't get me wrong, I am all about recycling and conservation and fighting global warming, but these people embrace it a little more than me. I dared one of my teammates to yell out at one of the receptions, "hey does anyone have a granola bar?" He didn't, don't worry, but it was an unending laugh for me. And the school that sponsors this particular competition has a really large environmental law program. They didn't just have one trash can and one recycle bin, no there are three trash cans in every room. It really stressed me out when I had to throw things away, was it "trash" or "plastic, metal, glass" or "paper". What happens when you have the last of your muffin on a plastic plate? See what I mean?

On another note, it snowed on Thursday night, and most of the day Friday. It is very cold! But we had an hour long snowball fight yesterday at the hotel, and I made a snowman. (I will try and post some pictures when I get home.) Actually the competition was outside the city in White Plains, NY, we just came to stay in the city today. White Plains is a really nice town, very clean and it had great restaurants. Actually last night we had dinner at a nice restaurant and the owner thought our coach was Tobey Maguire (the actor, he does look like him), it was really comical and it went on all night.

As much fun and exciting as this competition has been, I am glad it's over. We started writing the brief at the beginning of October, so I have been thinking about and living with this stuff for a good five months. I do like environmental law, and I have learned quite a lot about it, but I think it would be different if there were actual clients and I was getting paid! I do want to say thank you to all the people who have prayed for us, and for all the support from my friends. Hope you are all well.

Comments

Kelsey said…
Sorry y'all didn't win, but I'm glad you got to spend some time in NYC! Did you ever find Mustang Sally?
Rebecca Beers said…
I know you did great! Congrats for FINISHING and BEING DONE! I'm so proud of you!

Popular Posts