Check It Off The List


Do you have a bucket list? I don't. Maybe that is weird, but I sort of fly by the seat of my pants in that department. If I am there and I think it could be fun, well then I do it. But I don't have this list of places to go and things to do before I die. Well maybe I have a few certain things, but they are kinda cheesy, too cheesy to mention. Lets just say I didn't bring that up. Anyway my mom kind of has a list, and when we were in New York she wanted to go ice skating in Central Park or Rockefeller Center.

Now my haircut may look like Dorothy Hamill, but trust me, I am not an ice skater. So, this did not interest me. Mom has been to New York before, but she did not go ice skating. Saturday when we were at Rockefeller Center she was just about to jump out of her skin to do it, but I was able to talk her out of the notion. First of all I tried to get her with the thought that it was too expensive, this didn't work. Then I tried to point out that it was too small of a rink and that the guy down there trying to be Brian Boitano may run into her and knock her down, didn't work. I think what really got her though was the kids with helmets on. Needless to say we left and she didn't do it.

You may be wondering why I was trying to talk her out of this? Well, when I was a kid I would beg my parents every weekend to take me roller skating at Bob-a-Loo. When my mom was growing up she went all the time, and she always talks about how great she was. But somehow every weekend my parents had something else planned. Side note- my parents only have a couple of friends with kids my age. Most of their friends do not have children, or their children are much older than me or much younger than me. Basically what I am trying to tell you is that I was raised around mainly adults. Roller skating was not what they were into doing, but I grew up around a lot of really great music and really cool people. So I am not knocking the childhood.

Anyway, finally one weekend I talked them into taking me to Bob-a-Loo. I will never forget, for some reason I had a new outfit on that night. I think Anna and her family went along as well. But anyway my mom decided that she was going to show off her old moves from her childhood, for some reason she was not quite as good as she used to be. She fell and BROKE her arm, no kidding. So, when she put in to go ice skating I thought, GREAT. I told her, "Mom I have no idea where an emergency room is, and my idea of having fun in New York is not going to the hospital with you and some broken bone." See where I am coming from people?

But finally on Sunday we went to Central Park and she ice skated. She only made two laps around that I saw, but she says she made more. There were lots of people, so I give her that. The entire time I was holding my breathe hoping that she wouldn't fall and hurt herself, and she didn't!!!! So she checked it off her list, and we didn't even have to go to the Emergency Room!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my lord. Bob-a-loo !!!! What a fantastically questionable place to spend your childhood. I have many memories there. It always stunk and there was this back "room" in which unspeakable things were rumored to go on...I was always too shy to participate in the contests. Did you ever win any?

-Jill Scott
Emily Chappell said…
I, too, heard of the unspeakable things in the back room! And my mom would never let me go alone (as in without her) on Friday night. Devastating to a sixth grader...
Anonymous said…
KB, My mom wanted to skate too but all I had to do was remind her of our total lack of grace and coordination and she let it go. =)
Lauren said…
I went to a birthday party in one of the back rooms. It was to the left and it was up a HILL. I COULD NOT go up that hill in skates. I think I held onto the rail and pulled myself up. Going down was even scarier. And Katie, you should've had your mom practice in that little square practice area before she got out there doing tricks. Do you remember the shag carpet on the wall with the Get-Along gang?
Katie B said…
OH MY WORD!!! The GET ALONG GANG!!!! I totally forgot about that. I remember hearing about the back room, but I never went in there. Half of what people actually said they did in there I didn't understand until I was much older, but I always acted like I knew what they meant.
thebarronfam said…
Thanks for the shout out to Bob-a-Loo. I had forgotten about that place. Can you believe we actually ate food there? Yuck!

Popular Posts