Tackling the Big Day....

Picture this: The bride is about to throw the bouquet. All the single women in the room are herded like cattle onto the dance floor. There are three groups of these females. First you have the 5-17 year olds that are just happy to be included. Then you have the giddy females with boyfriends, they are secretly hoping that they catch the bouquet and their boyfriend will catch the garter. Somehow they hope this will spawn a discussion of marriage on the way home, but these females will never admit that. Then you have the single women with expiration dates that are desparetely hoping to catch the bouquet. They will knock anyone out of the way, even said females in the 5-17 age group, and again this group will never admit this. Then imagine off to the side the single women with a drink in one hand, maybe in both hands, but the other hand is definetely occupied in order to make sure the bouquet is not caught. This is the category I fit into, and there are numerous pictures to prove every category of this hypothetical scenario.

Tonight I was watching a movie on a channel that I am slightly ashamed to admit that I watch. I guess I should just admit it, okay it is the Hallmark Channel. Let me defend myself before you go and judge me. I love Murder, She Wrote and Matlock, and both of these shows are aired on the Hallmark Channel. So sometimes after these shows are over they will air Hallmark movies and I sometimes get sucked in. Tonights movie was a Valentine's movie about two divorce lawyers that end up falling in love with each other. Actually the movie isn't over while I am writing, but this is Hallmark and I am guessing they fall in love.

But what sucked me into this movie was the opening scene in which they meet at some friends wedding. The girl is herded on the dance floor and has taken my position in the back, I recognized it right away! But the bouquet hit her in the head and it got stuck in her hair! Seriously she had to go to the bathroom to get it out of her hair. I thought, this is what will have to happen to me because these two hands are never going in the air in order to catch the bouquet.

Side note - Please don't mistake my tone for cynicism. If you do detect cynicism, its really not my feelings toward Valentines Day. I had to practice my arguments today before some attorney's in order to get ready for my competition next week. Lets just say after the argument one of my teamates said "Katie B that woman came at you like a pit bull on a porkchop."

Anyway back to my single life and Valentine's Day. For some reason lately many many people have tried to subtly hint that an online dating service may be a good idea. I have heard people mention that they have known successes on Match.com and EHarmony.com or WooMe.com. Honestly people I appreciate it, but I can handle my personal life just fine. Its funny I seem to be the only person not worried about this, so you don't need to worry either.

And for the record I am not bitter about Valentine's Day. Actually its kind of nice because on Friday when many of you will be fretting over a piece of jewelry that you don't really like but you have to wear, or any other gift can be inserted here, I will be enjoying my new pot from Williams Sonoma that Anna has convinced me to buy for myself for Valentine's Day. I kid I kid. No seriously I know that its the thought that counts!

Valentine's Day does celebrate love though. And I know its really intended, I guess by Hallmark, as a day of love for your significant other. But I personally can still remember back to elementary school when you could buy white, pink, and red carnations. I forgot which was which but you could buy white and pink for your friends, guys and girls. (If your school didn't do this, just imagine it did okay.) And so I guess what I am saying is, to all my friends that happen to read this, if I were still in elementary school I would buy you all white and pink carnations. I love you all and I hope God truly blesses your day...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Katie Bradshaw...you are hilarious and I've secretly become obsessed with reading your blog...I'm lame, and I'm not afraid to admit that. I do hate Valentine's Day though, and yes I do have a bf...but it's stupid. Ok, keep me entertained.
-caroline shaw
Rebecca Beers said…
bradshaw - you need to post the pic of us from meredith's wedding where you and i are just standing there looking bored as the bouquet is being thrown and two of our other friends (who shall remain nameless in this public forum) are going for the gold. HILARIOUS! you know how i feel about wedding bouquets. LAME!
Emily Chappell said…
Katie, we had the carnation thing at Beverlye Middle! I had forgotten all about it... I guess I had suppressed all those sad memories of NOT getting a red one.
Happy V-Day. You get a pink one from me. :)
meredith said…
You Go Girl!!!! I embraced the single life and truly enjoyed my time with myself. I went through many spiritual awakenings along the way. I love my husband very much but I still miss my time alone. I will just have to send him off for a weekend! But I am happy and proud of you for embracing yourself and not worrying about finding "the one." It happens when you least expect it. Kind of like getting hit in the head with a bridal bouquet ;) By the way, I secretly watch Lifetime but only when my husband is not at home. He makes fun of me!

Meredith (Charles' Sister)
~N~ said…
My favorite scene from Sex & the City (that doesn't involve 'Smith') is where Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha and Miranda are standing at a Wedding in the position drinks in hand, other women rushing for bouquet...It's tossed and lands on the floor in front of them. They act like it was never tossed look @ each other, set a time for brunch and walk off sipping their drinks. :) Like you, I'll have to be knocked in the head. Usually I fake illness and run to the bathroom or leave before that time if possible! Love your writing. Be in touch!-Natalie

Popular Posts