Everyone Needs A Little Cream of Mushroom

When I was growing up and my dad was teaching me to cook he always put cream of mushroom in everything. The man has probably purchased more cream of mushroom than anyone else in the world. Seriously, Campbell's should put him on their label. One day I aked dad, "why do you use cream of mushroom in everything?" He told me that it just helps the consistency and adds that base flavor. He said its sort of unexplainable.

So when I do cook I use a lot of cream of mushroom. I use it with green beans, and potatoes. Speaking of which, my dad cooks a form of potatoe with every meal. If we are eating at home there is some sort of potatoe on our plate. I am waiting for the day when Idaho calls and asks for him to send those potatoes back, or at least ask him to come and be their spokesperson. He could never survive a potatoe famine. That aside, the absolute best thing he taught me to make is this pork chop and rice thing, and of course there is a little cream of mushroom in this recipe. My roomate from college can tell you I cooked this a lot.

Last year I was having this discussion with one of my friend's about our childhoods. He said something to the effect of money was kind of tight growing up so we used a lot of cream of mushroom. Or maybe he said we didn't have a lot of money growing up so we used a lot of cream of mushroom, you can add anything to it and make a meal. If or when he reads this he will call and say no no you got this conversation all wrong. But hopefully you people get my point. Anyway I realized "that's why dad used cream of mushroom!!!!" Please don't think I am poor mouthing here, I have been very blessed. But its kind of like catfish. People in Mississippi are obsessed with going to eat catfish. In fact some friends asked me to go to this nice restaurant where they serve only catfish and chicken. I said "why would I go pay to eat catfish? That is what we ate at the end of the month when money was tight." But I must confess everytime I actually go to the grocery store I pick up a can of cream of mushroom. I am not kidding. There is no telling how many cans I have in my pantry. But you never know when you are going to need it!

For some reason this morning I had this thought, God is kind of like cream of mushroom. Don't go get all antsy at this comment. But he really is. Add God to any situation and its going to be better. Its like my dad said about cream of mushroom, God is the consistency and base, its sort of unexplainable. Yesterday was Ash Wednesday and at our service last night we were challenged to stop listening to the noise and listen to God. Now I am not sure if God said to me this morning "Hey Katie I am like cream of mushroom soup." But I definetely think he was reminding me that I tend to leave him out of some situations. So during this Lenten season I hope you remember, as well as myself, when you think you need a little something to make things better, add a little God.

Comments

Anna said…
good thoughts to start the morning...too bad Ben won't eat anything with "cream of anything" in it!:)
Unknown said…
i like this one. i was worried you were suggesting giving up cream of mushroom soup for lent!
Kelsey said…
I agree with Lindsay...I was thinking that you were giving it up for Lent. But, of course, you pulled through in the end. Good message!

I think your moot court judge was right: you'll be a great litigator or preacher (same thing, right?).
Anonymous said…
Cream of Mushroom, duct tape and God ... with those three things you're unstoppable.
Emily Chappell said…
Katie, just want you to know how much I enjoy your blog. I really appreciate that I have something new (and good) to read everyday. Keep it up!
~N~ said…
Oh I loved this! I definitely will remember that God is like cream of mushroom...You can add him to anything and it makes it better; and you need him in everything to make it good :) TERRIFIC THOUGHT!
Lauren said…
We eat cream of mushroom and cream of chicken in almost everything! We even make a beef stroganoff that consists of like 5 cans of cream of mushroom and 1 thing of sour cream and that's it! It kinda grosses us out sometimes. You just can't think about it when you eat it!

Popular Posts