Gone are the Dog Days

Well I dog sat this weekend. Surprising huh? Its not that I don't like animals, I do, I just never really had a dog or cat. We had one dog for about three years when I was really young, and we had an outside cat for a while. But other than that we just didn't have animals. I bought a plant when I started law school, I am trying to work on commitment, but the plant is the only other thing that I have to take care of besides myself. For whatever reason this plant really likes me, or it has a sheer determination to live because come to think of it I haven't watered it in two weeks. I often wonder how it has lived this long.

Other than my inability to commit to helping take care of something else, my dog sitting experience just isn't very good. In fact the last time I dog sat, the dog died. No kidding. The people that I dog sat for had to go out of town for his mother's funeral. I was keeping their children and their dog. The last thing he said before they left was "just don't let our dog die." So the next day some men were there working on building them a fence. One of them said hey your dog keeps getting out you need to tie her up. So I did and I left her with a big bucket of water. When I came back later that afternoon I immediately went out to untie her. I noticed that she was lying on her stomach and not moving. I kept saying "Cassie, get up." I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I called my mom and said "Something is wrong with this dog." And when she arrived she figured it out, and for whatever reason thought it was really funny. She kept going in the other room and laughing. I had to call and tell the people the dog died, and their response was "we aren't surprised, she was old." They later told me that when we hung up they laughed. In fact everyone thought it was hysterical except me. And it is funny now, but I was traumatized.

I thought when I told the people this weekend about my track record they would say, oh well we will find someone else. But to my surprise they didn't. Either they really trusted me, for no apparent reason, or they were desparate. I think they were probably desparate. I don't know why I said yes, except maybe I thought this would conquer some underlying fear. One of my friends called early Saturday and said "What are you doing?" and I said "dogsitting" and he said "Oh, well lets eat breakfast." Half way through breakfast he said "Wait, YOUR dogsitting!!! I am just putting this together. OH MY!"

For the record the dogs lived this time around. I must say I expected the worst, but it wasn't that bad. I have conquered my fear of taking care of animals, but please don't call me if you need a dogsitter. I am officially out of the business.

Comments

The Jernigan's said…
I need someone to kepp Hicks this weekend. You intersted??
Katie B said…
Lauren,

Ask SWB about that before you really ask me to keep Hicks!!!! You met Cassie!

Popular Posts