Is Your Love Tank Full?

Today in church the sermon made reference to this book entitled The Five Languages of Love, short version is there are five forms of love communication that each of us use or need or something. Oh yeah I remember its our "love language." Anyway we each fall into, or need, or something one of the following: 1) Quality time 2) Words of affirmation 3) Receiving gifts 4) Acts of service or 5) Physical touch. So apparently when you get all of this you need in your relationship your "love tank is full."

For some reason I thought the term "love tank" was freaking hilarious. Don't worry I didn't laugh out loud, but I wanted to. Seriously couldn't the guy come up with a better term than "love tank"? Yes I guess on some levels you probably think I am being immature, maybe I am. But a married guy friend of mine called me after lunch, and I asked him "is the term "love tank" funny?" He said yes that is hysterical and everyone else was thinking that as well, don't worry about it. And a friend of mine went to church with me this morning as well, she thought it was funny. So either this is funny or we are all being immature.

Why is this funny? If you have to ask yourself that you haven't been in "single world" in a long time. They don't use pick up lines anymore like "Do you have a map? Cause I keep getting lost in your eyes," or "Do you have a quarter because my mom told me to call when I met the woman of my dreams". Actually the funniest one ever used on me was "You remind me of blinds. You just open yourself up and then shut yourself real quick." Didn't work out for him. No, but now the pick up lines are much more racy. I will not be surprised if I NOW hear "Baby looking at you makes my love tank full!"

Okay okay, that aside. Why do these self-help people come up with these words that no one is going to use? I don't get this? I doubt my dad or any man I know is going to say "Baby we better stop in the quality time station my love tank is getting a little low." I don't know about you but I don't think of having or needing love as some "tank." I have a heart and a soul. Is my heart full at times, you bet. Is my heart empty at times, you bet. Do I need the five parts of the "love language," yes of course, we all do.

Now, I know I am single, and maybe you are thinking well you don't get it. And maybe your right, but I personally think its more complicated than saying, "Okay time to fill er' up with a little bit of "love language." It seems to me like more work than that. Honestly, I hope by the grace of God I will find someone to WORK with me on speaking the "love language." But I know one thing, I ain't a tank....

Comments

~N~ said…
Do you fill up your tank @ the LoveShack? Perhaps...LOL. Luv the blog & it is funny! BTW- my luv tank is on E...Let me know if you find out where I can fill up ;-) Hope to hear from you. Natalie
Anonymous said…
Katie, i have been to many who preach this book. It is a good way to tell the Men or Women that don't get it the truth. A good analogy would be hanging with a guy that thought your blog was stupid, this would not be filling to your tank, vs. he said your blog was fab. even though he really thinks its stupid. He would be filling your tank. Give it 10 years, tell me then you will be wanting your love tank filled, in any way shape or form. jane

Popular Posts