Putting the Cheer in Cheerleading

The other night I was flipping through the channels looking for something to watch. I somehow stopped on this reality show about college cheerleaders. Let me tell you cheerleading is not what it used to be. They throw each other around, seriously those girls look like they will die at any moment. They throw them down as if they are going to hit face first in the mat and then they bounce up into some stance.

Some questions arose while I was watching this. First, how are you supposed to watch the football game if you have seats near these cheerleaders. I would be more worried about a cheerleader getting injured, rather than a football player. Second, I don't think anyone can make fun of these guy cheerleaders. These guys are strong, really strong. Third, if I ever have children they will not be participating in this, it is just too dangerous!

Plus, when I think of cheering I think of good jingles. My favorite cheer in high school was "Open the Door, Get in the Car, Step on the Gas, Lean on Back and let the Raiders pass...I said a ooh llalala (actually I don't remember what you chant there). But this is a real cheer! And how do you think I learned to spell aggressive? Well, the cheer "Be Aggressive" of course!

When I was a kid Anna and I always did that cheer "ra ra rama jama whose the best in Alabama..Cottonwood..Cottonwood." Remember that Anna? And also one that said something about "The girls got the brains, the boys got the looks" or something like that. Please let me know if you remember that one. Or "ra ra ree, kick him in the knee, ra ra ras, kick him in the other knee!"

Let me just tell you, the days of good jingle-cheers are gone. These people can only say "Go,Go,Go" or the letters of the school "UCF". Its as if they are a lot more limber these days and can do all these flips, but there is no catchy slogan. Someone needs to get in there and put the cheer back in CHEERLEADING. I imagine there might could be some money made from that, because it seems someone made money making up different ways to stack people on top of other peoples shoulders.

Honestly, CHEERLEADING should be called LETS SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE WE CAN STACK ON YOUR SHOULDERS AND THEN THROW THEM ALL OFF." Lets bring back the cheers! I beg you to yell out your favorite cheer after you read this! Even if people are around! Give your own personal ode to the cheer! Don't let the cheers die!!!!

Comments

Katie B said…
Granny, says that she agrees with this.
Lauren said…
I remember a cheer that you and Anna and I probably did together and went something like this:

"We're headed to the top
And we can't be stopped
Because we're hot hot hot hot hot!"

And you did something in the air with your hands during the "hot hot" part. We have this on home video. I start looking...
Anonymous said…
WC says no decent game needs cheerleaders anyway, they are just fluff ~~~ Afterall, you are there to watch the game . . .this is serious stuff!!!
~N~ said…
Your Blog is RED HOT; Your Blog is RED HOT...Your blog is R-E-D "RED" H-O-T "Hot" Once I start I need to stop :)! 2 bits 4 bits 6 bits a dollar, I was a cheerleader who liked to jump and holler :) I didn't want a career as an acrobat ;-) As soon as I find a place to live, you are welcome to come to Bhm anytime! Let's do lunch here or there :) TTYS!
Abby Maddox said…
HILARIOUS and so very true. We thought we were pretty special because we could do a basket toss!
Anonymous said…
I wish I knew how to put our home videos on here Katie, you and Anna would probably kill me though. I have GREAT video of you two cheering in just your panties in the front yard with John David copying ya'll. Rah, Rah, Rama, Jama!!!!!! Also like Lauren said "We're headed to the top, and we can't be stopped, because we're hot, hot, hot, hot, hot. HILARIOUS!!!! Makes me want to cry because ya'll were soooo cute!

Love Ya!
Miss Donna
Laura said…
Firecracker, firecracker
boom, boom, boom
Firecracker, firecracker
boom, boom, boom
The boys got the muscles
The coaches got the brains
The girls have the sexy legs
and we won the game!!!!

Popular Posts