Prom...Don't let your children out of your sight!

This weekend I was a part of a conversation about prom. Do you remember your prom? Some of you may have gone to numerous proms. My dad went to six proms when he was a senior in high school. I would like to say that he was some stud muffin, maybe he was, actually though he is a great dancer.

Prom at my high school was a production. The juniors raise money all year, and then build elaborate settings for prom. When I was a junior we chose the theme Riverboat. There were these railings all around the cafetorium as if you were on a boat. And we actually had a big wheel made that turned with water that flowed over it and fishes in the water. Elaborate.

Anyway this weekend we were discussing having your picture made at prom. I am not sure who invented the pose where the guy stands behind the girl and puts his arms around her, or the pose where you stand beside each other and hold hands, but they are stupid. When in life have you ever had your picture made in that stance? I might have just offended a lot of people, but its kind of an awkward pose. Then a friend of mine said that not only did they take couple pictures, everyone had their picture taken alone. Solo shots? No ma'am...we did not do that. How completely awkward? Standing in your prom dress, alone, with everyone in the cafetorium looking at you?

If you think about it the whole thing is kind of dumb anyway. I think back in the day the prom was an elaborate dinner with the entire class, and then a ball. I think that makes way more since than what it has turned into today. People don't even stay that long, because they want to go "drink" and what not. In fact, who is designing prom dresses these days? A couple of weeks ago I was having dinner at a nice restaurant with some friends, and there was a group of kids all dressed up for prom. Those girls had on mini-skirts! Mini-skirts for prom? Is this the trend? Plus they looked about double their age.

I obviously sound old fashioned, but I don't think this is appropriate. I know the old saying is "its easier than getting a prom dress off" but even if these girls are planning on that, they should make it harder for those boys than that very small piece of fabric they were wearing. Wear a long dress!!! If I ever have a daughter, she will be wearing cuddle duds underneath her prom dress. Just seeing those girls really got me fired up if you can't tell!

I suddenly feel guilty about this post, because a couple friend of mine was telling me recently that they had dated in high school. But he broke up with her the day before the prom, and she never got to go to prom! I will not reveal how they started dating again a year or so later, but now I feel bad that she didn't experience prom. I could be making this up, but I think a radio station in my hometown had a prom for all the people that didn't get to go to prom a couple of years ago. That could be not true, but its a funny thought anyway.

We do have law school prom, but let me tell you law school is like middle school with sex and alcohol. The drama that occurs at law school prom is unbelievable. However, we don't have dumb pictures made, and no solo shots either. But now that I think about it...I might make that suggestion!

Comments

Anna said…
katie, I am laughing out loud. Ben has never taken me to law prom...hmmmm
Emily Chappell said…
I went to the law school prom in Birmingham! Without a date. I would have never gone to High School prom alone.

This is my favorite post of the day.
Lydia said…
Katie-this is hilarious...on behalf of the class of '99, we thank you for the "Riverboat" prom...I also recall something about "Steamin' the Mississippi" or something to that affect? Oh and I had forgotten all about the cafetorium (2-in-1...weren't we a special school?!)
Anonymous said…
This is so funny Katie, but also true! Prom has gotten way out of hand, it is ridiculous the amount of money & time that goes into it and no one stays there! I know I am old, but in 1982 we had a dinner, a dj and a corner with decorations for pictures. We had just as much fun as kids today, probably more fun! I remember a radio station here having a prom for people that didn't get to go to their prom! Too Funny!!!

Popular Posts