Eggs and the Dukes of Hazard

I have ordered a new hard drive. Hopefully it will be here next week and I will be back in action. It has been a long two weeks, even without this computer problem. I can't even begin to explain. For some reason the time this year seems so out of whack or something. Easter was just way too early, I think. Usually it is always around my birthday and that just wasn't the case this year. Easter is my favorite holiday, have I mentioned that? I love the Easter candy, especially Peeps. Don't get me wrong it is my favorite Christian holiday as well. But I can't quite explain why Easter is such a renewing part of the year. Maybe it is because I was born on Maundy Thursday? I think it is more than that.

Every year after we eat Easter lunch at Granny's home, we go outside and hunt and hide Easter eggs. And every year for as long as I can possibly remember we also find great enjoyment in her neighbor's Easter holiday tradition. All the men in the family load up and drive up the road to hide Easter eggs in the lawn of this cemetery. I don't think they hide eggs in the cemetery, but they do hide the eggs in the lawn in front of the cemetery. Then they come back and get the women and the children. They then load up in the back of trucks and sometimes in their cars and have a processional toward the cemetery.

Now this processional isn't just any sort of thing. They have a fog horn that plays the theme from the Dukes of Hazard. Seriously. They play this fog horn as they drive slowly the half a mile or so to the cemetery. I have no idea how long this tradition has taken place, but honestly it has gone on for as long as I can remember. Yet, for the last several years it has taken place on the Saturday before Easter Sunday. I guess like most families they have grown and have to accommodate more people. I can tell you that they had nine vehicles full of people this year.

Please don't take this as me making fun of them. Okay, it is kind of funny, but everyone has their own traditions. Honestly, after thinking on this for several weeks, I guess it is only appropriate to hide Easter eggs in the cemetery. If you don't know, Easter eggs are a symbol of the Resurrection, I recently read "just as a little chick pecks its way out from the egg shell to emerge to new life, so Christ emerged from the tomb to new and everlasting life." Actually the unbroken egg symbolizes the rock tomb of our Lord, and when broken the egg is a symbol of the Resurrection. This symbolization was lost on my cousin's two year old son, every time he accidentally broke an egg he would throw it back in the yard, he wanted no part of that!

I guess this post is a couple of weeks late, but I think Easter is something we should remember and live everyday. I have a rack that holds some antique pictures above my desk, and I keep these beautiful Easter eggs hanging from the rack all year long. I guess this is just a reminder every day to remember Easter. Hey, I am a visual person. I also have these eggs on a stick that are in my plant. I guess you can call them plant decorations? The people who kept my plant this summer thought this very strange!

Anyway, whether the neighbors knew the actual symbolization of the Easter egg when they began their hunting tradition in the cemetery, is not really known. I must say though, it is brilliant, not that I want to start my own tradition by doing that. I am going to let that be their thing. Again though, brilliant. But the Duke's of Hazard theme, well now that, I just can't explain!

Comments

Popular Posts