A Big Idea

Have you ever seen that show the Big Idea? It is on CNBC at night, some nights, I am not sure what nights. Anyway, he interviews people who have had these ideas and become Millionaires. It is an extremely interesting and sometimes inspiring, sometimes not, show. For instance, the guy who randomly came up with iPod accessories. He had no job and was trying to figure out how to better wear his iPod. Think about that though, only someone with no job, not in school, who is just hanging out at home, would even have the time to develop iPod accessories.

Tonight, this other man created "Wakymals" and is trying to become a millionaire. He takes two different animals and puts them together into one stuffed animal. He took the idea from his niece and nephew's drawings. So he has a bee/eagle and or a kangaroo/lion. Supposedly it will help foster your child's imagination. Personally I think you are forcing your imagination on them by creating these animals. I think giving a kid a simple box would develop their imagination more. Seriously, give them a box and a craft set and say "create."

Several years ago my grandmother gave one of her great-grandchildren a hammer and a nail and said go play. Of course he immediately hit his hand with the hammer and came inside crying. He told her "that was too dangerous to let me play with." I agree it was a little dangerous, but I do see her point. I just think we box children's imagination too much, especially in today's society. I will admit I was that kid in the third grade that colored her bear purple, while all the other kid's in the class painted their bear brown. Basically, I am not on board with the "Wackymals" invention.

Anyway tonight I have been sitting here looking around my home wondering what I have invented and I just don't realize. And you know what I have discovered, I have invented nothing. But I really don't feel bad about it. Honestly, its not like these people are real Ben Franklin's or anything. They aren't exactly inventing light bulbs, and electricity. One guy just started adding different flavoring to his popcorn, discovered his friends in the fraternity house liked it, and slapped a label on it. Think I am kidding. Next time you go to the movie, look for that little stand that you can add ranch, salt etc. That guy is a millionaire.

Do you realize what these people have in common? They are just chilling out, doing nothing and stumbling on to something. I have a cousin that is in high school, and he has this little girlfriend, we call her "honey." They are in luv, somewhere between love and lust. Anyway, my aunt was asking honey what her major was going to be in college. So Honey says, "well I really like international business." So my aunt says, "oh that's nice, but what language are you going to take." Honey says, "oh I am not taking a language, that is too hard." Well, my aunt says "have you thought about nursing, teaching, and a couple of other things." Honey thinks this is all too hard. So finally she says "well Honey what do you like to do," and she said "well, I really just like to chill out." We all got a really big kick out of this, but after watching this show, Honey may have something there. Maybe I should just chill out for a while and hope a "Big Idea" comes to me.

Comments

Anna said…
I can't believe honey is still around...they must be serious!

Popular Posts