Let's All Do Some Watering

I had to go to the church luncheon today. I actually got to sit with some nice old women. I felt a little out of place because I didn't have on my SAS shoes. Know what I am talking about? My great-grandmother used to wear them. Anyway, today's discussion was titled "Mean Girls Grow Up to Be Mean Women." My boss and I laughed at this, and she said "oh, Katie you have to write about this!"

I actually really enjoyed the talk today. There were a couple of really funny things that I will share though. I have no idea how many of you people have seen the movie "Mean Girls", but it is about those girls in high school that had a clique. Remember them? Well, in the movie they call those girls "The Plastics" and my first year of law school there were these girls that everyone called "The Plastics." I thought it was funny, but I had to watch the movie to fully appreciate this. Now let me clarify, this is a movie for teenagers, okay.

So the speaker today started out by asking "How many people in this room have seen the movie "Mean Girls"? Seriously lady? These women are ah, at a minimum 70+......only three people raised their hands. I was doubled over laughing. So, then the lady said "does anyone in here remember high school?" I also personally thought this was a risky question, these women are old, but luckily everyone laughed. She then launched into her talk about people who are so self consumed that they grow up to be very lonely people. Her philosophy is that we don't need "self-esteem" we need "God esteem." She also says that "God zaps her." I am not so sure what to think of that, so I will let you ruminate on that.

Over the last several days I have had this recurring theme being pointed out to me, and that is fellowship. I am not sure if it has been sticking with me because I live alone, and I love living alone. But this morning a really important person in my life sent me a devotional about surrounding yourself with people that will help you keep your life "well-watered." More specifically, don't surround yourself with people that will keep your soul desolate, and in turn spiteful. But surround yourself with people who will help keep you fruitful and alive. Oddly enough this was basically the theme for today's lecture.

I will admit that sometimes I get so busy that I forget that maybe I need to be around other people, this is called letting your soul grow desolate. On Sunday my pastor said "our souls hunger for that relationship with other people. We long for fellowship." Okay, she may not have said that exactly, but I think that is what she said. Actually, she made not have said that at all, but point being, it would have been a good thing to say.

Anyway, we all need water, but in turn we all need to help water others. I think that might be where we go wrong sometimes, okay I should insert "I" for "we". I go wrong by not giving back as much as I receive, but I am going to work on that. So, just like these knew plants and herbs I planted this weekend, I am going to work on cultivating my fellowship with others, and I hope you will do the same. Who knows, maybe we can start a garden of fruitful and alive people!

Comments

Jenny said…
This reminds me of Pay it Forward that I watched this weekend!

Popular Posts