Lunch Time Wingman

I have been a wingman now for quite some time. I am actually a pretty good wingman, there are several couples out there that I will take the credit for. But today I learned that I am going to have to be a "lunch time wingman" now. Have you heard of this before?

See a friend of mine at work has a crush on a guy that works downtown as well. Today we met up for lunch with another friend who informed us that the "crush guy" goes to lunch early, like 11:30a.m. So, now my friend wants to start going to lunch early so we can run into the "crush". What does this leave me as? You guessed it! The lunchtime wingman.

I am not sure the rules of a lunch time wingman. For instance, at night when you are out and things are going well with your friend "maverick" and their "target" then they give you that look and you go home. Your friend "maverick" is then left alone with the "target" and your job is done. How will this play out at lunch? You can't suddenly just up and leave lunch, its your lunch break! What do I say - "oh I forgot a really important meeting. I have to go, but you two stay here and enjoy your lunch." Kind of obvious huh? And what happens if "maverick" realizes he/she doesn't like "target?" What do you say - "oh dear, we forgot about that really important meeting we have to get to right now?" No, I don't think so.

The other thing is, you can't have drinks to loosen up during the middle of the day. Therefore I keep imagining awkward conversations about "daily lunch specials" and who has the best "daily lunch special on what day." Seriously, what else do you discuss? Plus if your friend is following a guy and going to a certain bar, its much easier to play off because of the alcohol. Sorry people just being honest. Anyway, if you are following a guy during lunch its kind of lame to play off that you are following the "daily lunch special."

I got to tell you, I am always up for a challenge but this lunchtime wingman thing seems a little impossible. If you have any suggestions let me know. In the meantime I am going to google some "lunch time topics" or "lunch time wingman etiquette". If I can't find any suggestions, I might just have to write the book.

Comments

Popular Posts