False Teeth and Kittens

My sweet little kitten is terrorizing at night. She thinks that she should wake at 4:00a.m. At first she wants to get in the bed with me and snuggle, but then sweet snuggling turns into ferocious biting. When I make her get out of the bed she proceeds to go and pull all the paper off my desk - something she doesn't seem to do at any other time.

I have started letting her spend the rest of the wee hours of the morning on the balcony. Don't worry she has food, water and toys out there. I think she prefers this, and this routine kind of works out except I have a hard time getting back to sleep. Now, some have said "hey, just let her sleep with you all night." That would be nice, if she understood the meaning of "lay down and be still." I don't know if she just can't get comfortable or something but she will not be still. Granny would claim that she inherited that from me. I flip, flop, toss and turn all night long. I always have. Granny says I am the worst bed fellow of all time.

I started thinking about that while trying to go back to sleep this morning. A couple of summers ago I had to spend the night with her after she had hip surgery. Since I can't hear well I just decided to sleep with her in case she needed me in the night. She said, "now Katie you are sleeping beside my bad hip. So you better not kick me." Oh yeah, I kick in my sleep too.

During the wee hours this morning, I also thought about how when I was really young I always begged Granny to let me put her partial plate (false teeth) in my mouth. For whatever reason I always wanted to give them a test run. I just wanted to see how it felt. Don't worry, she never let me try them out.

Today at staff lunch we got into a discussion of people who found their relatives false teeth after they had died. Isn't that strange? I guess I just never thought about that. One of my great-grandmother's had Alzheimer's and after she died my grandmother found cans of food and pecans all in her drawers. I guess she was stocking up.

Anyway, if you guys have any ideas about what to do with Sidda, let me know. Until then I will try and keep my mind cleared of false teeth in the wee hours of the morning. This is making for a long and exhausting day.

Comments

Lauren said…
You must lock her in an extra room at night and not let her out until the morning. I'm not kidding. You are not being mean; you need your sleep! Banjo "sleeps" in the laundry room when we go to bed. He has a bed, food, water, and a window to look out of. I thought I'd be "nice" and not locking him up one night when Ben was out of town and sure enough, at 3 AM he comes pawing at the bedroom door ready to snuggle, play, etc. I never made that mistake again. Lock her up; she'll get used to it!
Lauren said…
I meant to say "not lock him up."
Jenny said…
I think that 4 am is their playtime. Lullabelle used to do that and has settled down...maybe they grow out of it?

Popular Posts