Yes, I am Single

I am not sure I have told you guys but this past month I helped teach the Kindergarten and 1st Grade Girls Sunday School Class at church. It has been an interesting experience. First of all, I didn't realize how much I would have to say "sit down and be sweet." Secondly, I didn't realize how much some children dredded sunday school. I had to do a lot of coaxing to get one little girl just to sit down. Third, I am not sure they remember ONE thing we taught them.

But they taught me a lot. Apparently, not only did God make Adam and Eve, but Adam and Eve fell madly in love with each other. I didn't remember the love story part of Genesis, but hey you never know. Also, ask any 5 or 6 year old a question about the Bible and they will answer "Jesus" or "God". For instance, upon being asked what "patience" was they responded "God." Technically, they are right! So what do you do?

Oh, and if you didn't know this by now, children are always listening. This morning the other teacher asked me how I liked my bible study on Sunday night and I simply said "well last weeks' was the only one I didn't enjoy, because it was about marriage. Since I am not married, I couldn't relate." Then one little girl popped up and said "you aren't married? Well, if you want a child then you have to get a husband, because you have to have a husband to have a child. Children need a family." So, this other little girl says "so that is why you don't have children!" Apparently this has really been perplexing them. Then the first little girl proceeded to tell us her mom is going to have a baby and they are going to "get it out at Easter." We changed the subject because knowing these kids details and questions were sure to follow.

To top it all off, this sweet little lady brought me a book today at church Cooking For One Is Fun. She also brought me three editions of the magazine Cooking For Two. See, I sat at a table of older women, mainly widowed, at the Wednesday night supper this week. Besides learning who the best physical therapists are and what times they are scheduled, we discussed how hard it is cooking for one. So, she brought me the book and magazines for me to keep and pass on! How nice is that?

There is nothing like going to church and being reminded that I am single! Especially by five year olds, and widows! But for all you single people reading this, if I ever get married I will pass along my cook books to you! I even made the Parmesan Chicken for lunch. And if you ever need to learn something about yourself, go teach five year olds!

Some Pictures I Have Taken Recently (Hobby)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Found your post through my cousin Dona's blog. I am single too, and although I do find it hard to cook for one, PUBLIX is a life saver They will break any package of any thing in the meat, poultry, fresh veggies, fruits etc. Too much Broccoli for one? break it in half, or 1/4. Dont need 4 chicken breasts? Take home one! Thanks to publix for making cooking for one that much simpler!
-BK
Kelsey said…
I had no idea Publix was so accomodating! I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip!
Lindsey said…
Children are funny like that. And most of them don't have a filter! I have just started teaching 1st and 2nd grade GAs at my church and it has definitely been an experience.
And how about those sweet, little old ladies? :)
The Jernigan's said…
Tell me it about!!! You will hear things you def. dont want to hear about yourself (and their parents). They are honest, that is for sure. Then again, you will also get all the hugs in one day that anyone else might not get in a year! You have got to love them!

Popular Posts