My Crossroads

My weekends these days are so different than they have been for the last three years. I don't know what to do with all my free time. For so long, most Saturdays I took off from studying, but by Sunday afternoon and for sure Sunday night I was studying like crazy.

So, after church this Sunday I had lunch with some friends and I found myself near the bookstore. I realize spending money on books is probably a wasteful thing and I really should join the library. The problem is, the library that I would like to join will not let me join. Apparently since I do not live in their county I am not allowed to join. And the library in my county is not that great. See the problem? Anyway, I decided to just go on in the bookstore and look around under the condition that I could only buy one book.

A couple of months ago I wrote a blog about a sermon based on the book, The Five Love Languages. A couple of people over the last several months have told me that it actually is a good book. And some have even given me a hard time about my blog. So, I decided to go check it out. What I found in the bookstore was The Five Love Languages For Singles. For whatever reason I started giving serious thought to buying and reading this book.

But before I settled on this particular book I looked to my right and there was the section on Cats! Now you see, my little precious Sidda has been having some behavioral issues. She used to sleep through the night just fine in the bathroom. Lately, she has been waking me up at 3a.m. and 5a.m. by throwing her entire body against the door.

It all started when I took a little vacation to North Carolina and left her here alone. The first night I was back she woke me up at 5:30 and when I finally walked in the bathroom I discovered that she had thrown-up the entire contents of her stomach. Don't worry she was fine. But I guess she realized her little trick of throwing her body against the door worked and now has implemented a plan to continue this in order to get me to let her out.

I wouldn't mind it so much if she would just lie on my bed and be still. Oh no, she is ready to play. She will only play in MY bedroom! And since I will not get up and play she does everything she knows that will make me mad. Like, getting on the bedside table and then getting on my desk and finding a pencil to knock around for a while. How does one little kitten make so much damn noise?

To top all of this off she broke a piece of my nice china. I have some really nice china that my mom slowly bought me in college, it is only a place setting for four. She said that I would want it for "dinner parties when I was in my 20s." I think she was afraid I wasn't getting married any time soon, and she was right. That is another blog though. Since I don't really have lots of dinner parties I just keep my table set for decoration. Well, Miss Siddalee decided she needed to hop up on the table and hop down really quickly and she took the china with her. Only one salad plate broke but I thought I was going to give her up for adoption. I put her outside and calmed down - its' only a plate.

So with all of that in mind, when I was standing in that bookstore I was thinking, "do I need this book about love languages or do I need a book on training my cat to act like she has some sense." Easy answer, I need a book about cats. So, I be-bopped on over to the cat section and started reading a book about Kittens and I learned many things just flipping through this how to book. I was so excited.

And then I saw IT. I saw a book titled THE CAT WOMAN. All of a sudden I pictured myself at 50 years old with 100 cats running around my house. I pictured myself as the quintessential CAT WOMAN. I was frightened. Up until now I have not purchased any cute calenders of kittens, nor have I forwarded any cute animal emails. This is what everyone thought I was going to become when I got the kitten. Actually, that is not true, they all thought I would have killed the thing by now. But I knew at that moment, in that bookstore, that I had reached a crossroads. Was I going to become one of those cat women or was I going to maintain at least whatever normal life I have?

I bought The Five Love Languages For Singles. It was an easy read, I finished it in a day. I think there is a lot of truth to the book, and I recommend it for anyone. It isn't about finding a boyfriend/girlfriend or even about dating really. It is more about learning how to love and be loved in all the relationships in your life. I honestly recommend it. And the funny thing is, I never found the chapter on being a "tank," and for the record "I still ain't no tank." (see earlier post). Like any book like that, I think some of the suggestions are unrealistic. But I do think we all have a primary and secondary love language.

I have even figured out what Sidda's primary love language is, quality time. So, this week I have made it a point to sit and play with her every night. Her behavior has been somewhat better, she has scratched me and drawn blood twice this morning. That aside, I thought this quality time was helping and that I had made the correct decision on which book to buy, until the other night, when I looked and saw a tooth on the ground. At first I thought, is THAT MY TOOTH? But it wasn't, it was hers. It was a surprise to me to say the least. Did you guys no that kittens lost their teeth? I kept thinking, what else don't I know about? In that moment I thought, maybe I should have bought the darn kitten book.

After all of these things this week, I was asked to sit on a forum to create a singles group at church. I was totally against the idea but I reluctantly went to the meeting yesterday. My only real contribution was to name the group "The Availables." They really liked this, go figure. Anyway some weeks I just take a step back and think, "God what exactly did you lead me to all of this for?" Know what I mean?

Comments

Popular Posts