A Life in Comedy

If lawyering does not work out for me, I am going to become a comedian. No, I am not kidding. But the twist is, I am only going to perform in nursing homes, assisted living homes, retirement communities etc. Why you ask? Well, the thing is I only make people in the age range of 60-100 laugh. Seriously, my friends don't think I am that funny. People in that age range, think I am hysterical.

Anyway, performing in this places would be second nature to me. When I was five my parents gave me a guitar. I began taking lessons from my Granny's friend, Ms. Annette. Actually Ms. Annette taught a lot of people in my family to play. I can remember going to her home and she would put baby powder on the tips of your fingers and then we would start, 1-2-3-4.

One night when I was about eight or nine, and all my older cousins were in college, we had a big party at my aunt's house. Let me just say, the adults were having a really good time. So, about nine o'clock someone said "lets call Ms. Annette to come and play." Because they were having a really good time, they did. And the surprising thing, she really did show up. AND she brought her guitar and amp. We plugged her up in the living room, a couple of the older cousins got their guitars and we sang all night long. The entire family. All 50 of us. It was hilarious. We would just yell out songs and then all sing. It is really funny now that I think back on it.

She actually played in church not too long ago when I was home. Well, it was probably two years ago now that I really think about it. After she played the third song Granny said in kind of a loud voice, "this isn't a concert." That is Granny for you. I promise, they really are friends.

When I was learning to play, she and Granny had this little bluegrass/gospel kind of group. They would play around at different places, but they always took me along to the nursing homes and what not. I guess I was the "opening act." I wanted to be Dolly Parton, but I didn't get her voice, I got her other assets. Even in high school Granny made me go play and sing at the Wesley Manor Monthly Birthday dinner. I told her, "I thought you said I needed singing lessons. Why do you want me to sing?" She would say, "your the best we have got."

So, tonight as I was talking to my new friends in the choir, I realized maybe I could take this act on the road. Kind of like that movie In Her Shoes, except I would just be a comedy act. These places have turned into amazing resort like places. In fact, I have been thinking about skipping work and going straight into retirement. Laugh now, but when I make it big time...your going to be wanting my autograph.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You might be on to something. It could be a "twofer" kinda operation. You could manage the wills and estates of the residents by day and entertain by night. Golf on the Saturday. Preach on Sunday. SOUNDS LIKE A PACKAGE DEAL TO ME. BOOK MY ROOM!!!!M

Popular Posts