The State of Real Estate

I guess from the title you probably think I am going to express my opinion on the latest real estate crisis and sub-prime mortgages. Although I do have an opinion on the subject, I am not going to bore you with that. Tonight I was flipping channels and came across my favorite channel in Jackson, The Real Estate Channel. This is a local channel that runs ads for houses on the local market 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Brokers advertise all the property they are listing without any commercial interuptions. Each broker will display the house and then give their eloquent descriptions. When I first moved here I thought it was a little bizarre, but as time goes by I have come to really enjoy this channel.

Why you ask? Well, I am not really sure. I don't watch reality T.V. but I recently quizzed one of my friends on why she enjoys these reality shows and she said because I don't have to think. I think the Real Estate Channel does that for me, I don't have to think. I just watch house after house described as "beautiful, quaint, relaxing" and better yet "fixer upper." It always worries me when a real estate agent says a house is a "fixer upper." Seriously, they are trained to make any house seem move-in-ready, so when they say well its a "fixer upper"...I always wonder. (If you are a real estate agent reading my blog, now is when you use your sense of humor.)

The other thing is I really love local T.V. Seriously I am obsessed with local T.V. shows and local T.V. commercials. I know its weird. I love to watch the School Board Meetings, or local Churches. When I was a kid on Saturday nights before Hee Haw came on, this local church had a bluegrass hour. They were just standing there playing music, then they would say "Betty Jo, you ready to sing." Okay maybe I am remembering this all wrong, it could have been on Sunday night. But anyway I guess the show inspired my love of local T.V. Here in Jackson there is a local work-out show that this man broadcasts from his living room. It is freaking hysterical. The guy has his own video camera set up and he is just working out, sometimes he has friends that he has convinced to follow along. The camera doesn't follow them moving around, because there is no camera man! I can watch this for hours. I would love to know how you sign up for a time slot on this channel. Maybe I should forget blogging and start my own local T.V. show...don't worry I am not, I would have to wear make-up!

But it isn't just this channel that I love, I also love House Hunters. I have time after time thought to myself why am I watching this? Would I like other people to come along with me while I am buying a house? Would I like for others to know how much I paid for my house? And why do I care which house these people buy? I don't know them! Plus, it is so unfortunate to me when they come back after a couple of months to show the changes and I don't like what they have done to the place. But I keep watching. What is it that draws me in?

Freud would probably say this is some subconscious desire to know what the future holds for me....honestly I don't know. But is it just me, or does anyone else obtain a sense of calm from watching real estate shows?

Comments

Unknown said…
real estate channel, house hunters, and local tv?
i think c-span can be funny. last night, after bush's state of the union, the guy on c-span had to ask the cameraman if they had anyone else to interview.

your blogs are entertaining; what time does that guy come on local t.v. in Jackson?

Popular Posts