Sometimes You Just Need a Dress

I don't really like to shop. Wondering around a store for hours looking at various articles of clothing does not make me feel better about anything. Now for my mom and many people reading this, it somehow makes them feel better about life. Me, I have never really understood this. The thing is, I just don't like sales people. I know what I like, some random person working in a store does not know what I like. For this reason, I love to go shopping with my friend Anna. She lets me pick whatever I want to try on and then she makes me try on something she has picked out, which is always cute. But what I really like about shopping with her is that she tells the sales people to bug off. Seriously, once I was shopping with her and I tried on the ugliest shirt I have ever seen in my life (if I say its ugly its pretty bad)and this sales woman came in the dressing room and was trying to tell me it looked good! Anna looked right at her and said "NO it does not look good." See, I need someone like this with me when I shop.

But these days I am in Mississippi and Anna is not around to go shopping with. So after some thinking, I developed this plan. Usually the people who work in stores at night are at their second job, and by eight o'clock at night they are tired. When I feel like shopping this is when I go. They don't follow you around and come in dressing rooms, honestly I don't think they really care if you buy anything or not. I do not mean to offend anyone who works at that time, or works a second job at the mall. In fact, it is a blessing to people like me, I mean that sincerely. Obviously I have really thought through this notion, and if I run into any of you at the mall at eight o'clock at night, I will know you too are trying out my plan. Trust me it works.

This has been a long week for me, actually its been two long weeks for me. And after this miserable class tonight, I decided maybe I should go shopping. So I went, and I walked around and around and around. While I was waiting for a dressing room I saw this dress, and I thought I should try it on. (Anna, you would be impressed.) I liked it and I bought it. I also fell in love with a pair of shoes, but I couldn't justify spending $300 on a pair of shoes. Side note - when I was in college my dad gave me one of his cards "for emergency purposes." My friends and I ate at this Thai restaurant at least once a week, but once a month I would pay for the meal on this particular card and I would really blow it out. I would get a bottle of wine and an appetizer etc. The name of the restaurant was Surin West and my dad, who doesn't really know much about shopping, had "Surin West" confused with the shoe store "Nine West". He never said anything because he thought I was buying shoes! I of course, never said anything either. Until my senior year when my mother and I got into a fight over dinner and I told dad that he didn't "fall off the bed and break his ankle on the Nordic Track" mom had "kicked him to make him stop snoring and then he fell off the bed." To which she informed him that "Surin West" was a restaurant and not a shoe store. Lets just say he was sort of in a daze for a while. He took the card away and he also went to the sleep doctor and now sleeps with a machine to stop snoring.

Anyway this makes me think twice when I buy shoes. Plus I also learned what goes around comes around, and you might as well just be honest. I digress. Anyway, after my shopping excursion I met up with some friends for dinner. Apparently people were shocked that I went shopping! My friend Brandon said well what did you buy? I told him I bought a dress, and he said "For What"!?! I thought a minute and for the first time in my life I understood that "sometimes you just need a dress."

Comments

Jenny said…
We did in fact have a conversation wondering what you were doing at the mall, particularly since it was 8 pm and you were alone! I am glad to hear that you got a dress, and will be happy to go with you at any time to tell you something doesn't look good on you! :-)
Hilarious about the Nine West/Surin West mix up, but you can always justify a $300 pair of shoes!

Popular Posts