Enjoy the Music!

If you guys are interested I added a music player at the bottom of the page. I have it set so that you have to choose the song you would like to hear. I put a lot of songs in the playlist by a lady named Kate Campbell. Kate grew up in Mississippi and Alabama, her father was a minister and they moved a lot. I think she went to college at Samford and Auburn, but she is a "Southern Folk Singer." A couple friend of my parents introduced me to her about eleven years ago. There is this folk circuit that various artists travel around playing. One of their stops is a home in Montgomery, Alabama. Seriously, these people get the folk artist to come to their home and then sell tickets to complete strangers. They bring in chairs from the yard and the dinning room, and some people sit on the couches etc. Its really an interesting experience. This couple that I speak of took me to a concert there, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever! Anyway, they discovered Kate at one of these concerts, and luckily bought me my first Kate Campbell CD!

Now, once you start listening you may think "Katie this is gospel music." Well, some of Kate's songs are what some would consider "gospel," but I think they are about life. She sings about mercy, and mercy is something I think we all struggle with. Especially for those of us in law school, we learn justice all day and then try and live a life of mercy, its often hard. Even if you aren't in law school, everyone can identify with at least one of her songs. I hope you enjoy the songs.

You will also note that I have another "praise song" on the playlist. I love this song, and I just learned the actual title today. Its kind of funny when I think about it, I don't really like contemporary services and I am a traditionalist when it comes to music in service. (I am not trying to start any debate about music in church, okay.) But for the days in between I like music about life. I do have to admit that when I was five years old my mother's parents asked me to play my guitar and sing in their church. So that Sunday I got up with my little guitar and sang a very traditional hymn and when it was over with the congregation began to clap. I guess I thought they wanted an encore and I broke into "Working 9 to 5" by Dolly Parton, in church, yes. My dad stood up and screamed "NOOOOO". But the pastor was laughing and said "just let her play."

So if you haven't guessed, I love music. It must be something in my soul. Recently someone suggested maybe I should give up music for Lent. I have been pondering this idea, and thinking about how much music I actually listen to. I am not sure what life would be like without music. I began playing guitar when I was five, and I have always had my own rather strange taste in music. (In fact I put a couple of The Waifs songs on this list, my good friend told me they sounded like Jewel times ten?) When I was in the 8th grade, I listened to this Carol King Live Album for three months straight, hey we all know I am strange! Honestly though music somehow helps me survive outside of the dressing room, but I will continue to think this through...until then I hope you enjoy the music!

Comments

Jenny said…
Aren't you going put that "haircut" song on your music list?
Emily Chappell said…
Please don't give up music for Lent. I think that would just defeat the purpose.
Unknown said…
i loooooove the carole king live album! abby and i used to listen to it in high school all the time

Popular Posts