Single Days

So, I am going to ask you all to think back to when you were single. Were there any certain phrases that you did not like to be described as? Or were there certain phrases that you find are just inappropriate to use in describing a girl?

Here is the thing, tonight I had dinner with some friends and we had this long discussion about inappropriate phrases. For instance, when a guy describes a girl to her friends as "a real find." What does that mean? The conversation reminded me of one of my friends who had her heart broken by this guy right after we graduated from college. I happened to run into him one night. So, we were talking and he said "please tell her that she is top shelf."

Okay, "top shelf," "a real catch," or "a real find." Please these are not words to describe someone and sound genuine. Its just like a guy to compare a girl to liquor. (referring to the top shelf comment). Do they take guys aside in junior high and say "now boys, here are phrases to use to describe a girl when you aren't sure about her?"

And also, I really don't like the word "cute." My entire life I have been "cute." Know what that means? That means "awe, she is a little short cute girl." Cute should be outlawed from the dictionary of descriptions. Once I was in a bar and was ordering a drink, and this drunk man was on a bar stool and he looked at me and said "how tall are you?" I said, "5'1''" and he said "4'11'' is a legal midget." My friend who is my same height became really angry and jumped in his face and said "what do you want her to do, get a handicap sticker?" True story, but what do you expect from a little "cute" girl.

All I am trying to say is, there is a complete dictionary full of better words than "real find", "real catch" and "cute". As a society we should encourage more people, especially young men, to use the dictionary a little more often. And if they can't think of anything better to say than some cliche phrase, then don't say anything at all. And NEVER compare me to liquor. Thanks.

Comments

Anonymous said…
love it. so you are 2 inces short of a sticker?
Lauren said…
Katie, I was always jealous of the girls who were called "cute" and always wanted to be called "cute" myself, but that's just not a word used to describe girls who are 5'10". It's funny to hear from someone who is called that a lot and hates it! We always want what we don't/can't have (but I never want to be called "top shelf").
Kelsey said…
I am "top shelf." Grey Goose. Johnny Walker Black. Blue Sapphire.

Coming from a borderline alcoholic, it may have been a compliment. Who knows.

Popular Posts