Ramblings

Just some things I have been thinking about tonight...

First, when I was growing up...That sounds a little strange. When I was younger and in elementary school and high school, sounds better. Anyway every morning we would iron what we were going to wear that day. Mom and Dad never did the laundry and then ironed everything at once so that you didn't have to iron what you were going to wear.

I never thought that this was anything odd. And honestly I still don't think this is odd. What if you iron something you are never going to wear? But Granny always ironed everything that went through the wash on wash day. I thought this was very time consuming when I was younger.

And when I went to college I realized - most people don't iron. In fact people would make fun of me for ironing. I have to tell you though I find ironing to be very relaxing. Folding clothes - not so much, but ironing I like. For the first time tonight I ironed everything that was washed yesterday. Now I am sitting here wondering, why? Why did I just spend all that time ironing? What if I wake up in the morning and decide not to wear anything that I just ironed? Will I force myself to wear something simply because it is already ironed?

Someone told me this week that their aunt irons everything, including her underwear. Please, she has too much time on her hands. Sorry if I am offending anyone out there that irons their underwear. I guess you guys can rest easy knowing that I will look starched and ironed this week.

Second, I am sitting here watching the Democratic Convention. I am not going to comment on the politics, and any comments that I am about to make will most likely be applicable to the Republican Convention next week. So here we go.

If you are going to clap on T.V. have a little rhythm. I can't tell you how many people I watched clap tonight, just looked awkward. If you know you are going to be seen on T.V. clapping, practice in the mirror. Likewise, why do so many people cry? All these people tonight were crying. I don't get it? I am listening for political policy, and all of a sudden the T.V. cuts to people crying. Was I supposed to be sitting here crying? Were any of you sitting at home crying? Did I miss the point?

What I am suddenly realizing, I miss the Olympics. Seriously, I just ironed all my clothes and then got annoyed at people clapping and crying. Since I have been back home I watched the Olympics every night, and now I don't know what to watch. The Olympics were amazing this year! I watched everything from water polo to the marathon. (Although the marathon was boring). Well, I am going to bed now. I think I have talked myself into buying the Olympic highlight replays tomorrow...before I decide to iron my entire closet....

Comments

Anonymous said…
I did feel moved to tears. First, I'll admit (even in my Republican days) I have always loved those Kennedys. Teddy took me back to the dreams, aspirations and accomplishments of the Kennedy clan ... the heartbreak as a 6th grader of watching a presidential funeral... little John saluting... the shocks of '68 with MLK and RFk .. the tragedy of John and his beautiful wife and SIL in the plane crash ... the RFK sons ... And the pride in realizing just how far our country has come with equality issues (I am so glad I have learned not to be prejudiced)... the value to so many of medicare ... Head Start ... so much more that keeps America great. Yes I was moved to tears. I love this country and want it to continue to take care of us all and to be the leader in taking care of the World. Pray that whoever wins this election will do whatever it takes to maintain the role of America in leading and protecting the World's people.
Anonymous said…
Those conventions drive me nuts! It all sounds like foreign language to me!!! I had rather Iron than watch that stuff and I hate to iron, although it does give me a feeling of accomplishment when I iron more than one thing at a time. Although, when things are already ironed and hanging in my closet, I don't want to wear them for fear of having to iron them again!
Unknown said…
i miss the olympics too, except for men's diving. I felt uncomfortable watching the close-up's on mostly naked men showering after a dive. seriously, they should just show the dive.
Anonymous said…
I did not waste my time watching the convention. I did listen to POLTUS today and heard her speech. OH what a great writer she has hired. As you will recall her own speech when Barrack was nominated was THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE BEEN PROUD OF THE UNITED STATES. WELL DUH SHE WAS NOT PROUD OF THE MONEY GIVEN TO HER FOR A FREE EDUCATION?
AS FOR BARRACKS VOTING RECORD? HE HAS ONLY VOTED ON ONE BILL THE REMAINDER HE HAS VOTED PRESENT BUT HOW CAN YOU VOTE WHEN YOU HAVE ONLY BEEN IN OFFICE FOR TWO YEARS AND HE HAS BEEN CAMPAINING FOR NINETEEN MONTHS DOES NOT LEAVE MUCH TIME TO TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS DOES IT?
DO YOU KNOW WHAT JOHN MCCAIN SAID ABOUT HIS HOUSES? I WAS A PRISONER OF WAR FOR FIVE AND HALF YEARS. I DID NOT OUW A DINING TABLE OR ANY TABLE, HOUSE OR FURNITURE BUT HE GAVE TO OUR COUNTRY.
MY LAST COMMENT FOR YOU IS LISTEN TO POLTUS ON RADIO.
MEM
Anonymous said…
I believe the previous anonymous writer may have,not in a bad way, misunderstood your comments about the Mrs.Obama speech and some in tears. To that writer I say, I do not believe Katie B. was making any type of political statement at all. To know her family's history, they too have a strong connection to the Kennedys and their tragedies and triumphants. She, nor anyone in her immediate family, would ever make light of what that family has endured, inspired, and dreamed as they have continued in public service, etc. I am not sure party affiliation could keep the heart from swelling or the tears from flowing when remembering any of those events. Finally, having a good sense of Katie B.'s heart, mind, and spirit, I believe she too will support whomever is elected as the next president.
Jenny said…
After all these political posts, I just wanted to tell you that the marathon was one of my favorite events!
Anonymous said…
I, like Jenny, enjoyed the Olympics. In fact, some of my friends and I have been trying to think of events we could train for to compete in the 2012 summer games so we could go to London. M.A.naturally would be the marathon. M.T. and I were thinking maybe synchronized diving. Another friend and I were thinking perhaps the ribbon or hoops event in acrobats/gymnastics. Beach volleyball came up, but there are no skirted outfits! NOW, I KNOW I COULD ALWAYS QUALIFY FOR THE DOWNHILL EVENTS IN 2010 !!! SEE YOU ON THE SLOPES. Mom

Popular Posts