It Went Well

My first class went really well!!!!! Oddly enough, I was not even nervous. I learned this week that I have "natural talent" at ringing a handbell, maybe teaching was meant for me! Although I must confess my class was at 8:00 a.m. and I arrived at 8:03 a.m. Why was I late? Well first, my darling little kitten decided to jump up claw down the side of my leg, ruining my favorite pair of hose. Yes, I have a favorite pair of hose and yes I wear hose. I love those Spanx hose, but they are expensive and now another pair is in the garbage thanks to Miss Siddalee.

Then I got in my car and realized I was out of gas. So, I had to stop at the gas station, thus making me late. But as I was riding I thought, "I am the teacher and it doesn't matter!" Plus I let them out early to make up for it. Oh and I was having trouble thinking of an icebreaker that wasn't too cheesy. My friend Michelle gave me about six ideas. But on my way I thought of the perfect one, "What is the last thing you listened to in your car?" They really liked it! I think some of them lied though. Who listens to Marvin and the Vandelles at 7:30a.m.? Maybe, but I think he was trying to be cute.

Their first assignment was to write a paper on a case in which these two men were on a sailboat and it sunk. So, they were in a life boat and one of them became really weak. The stronger one realized he wouldn't survive either if he kept giving water to the weak one so he let him dehydrate. Then before he died of dehydration the strong one threw him overboard. So we discussed whether or not the two separate acts were immoral.

Of course you had some people saying "save yourself" and others that had a stricter moral character and would have saved the other guy even to the detriment of himself, at least in class. Every single person commented and we had a good discussion. The only real distraction was when a friend of mine walked by and saw me teaching and died laughing... She had no clue I was doing this, but my students respected me!

And what did they call me? Well, only one person even called me anything during class. I have one man who is probably in his early forties, and he called me Ms. Bradshaw. But this morning I had three emails addressed to "Professor Bradshaw", if these guys only knew that I was sitting here laughing!

Comments

Lydia said…
That's awesome!! I'm so proud for you!
Anonymous said…
what would you like us to call you?
Katie B said…
Please call me Katie.

Popular Posts