Thank You, Pet

A friend of mine who is getting married asked me for some Thank You letter advice today. This is funny for several reasons - most importantly, I hate writing thank you letters. I would rather call and say, "hey, thank you so very much." - followed by a personal conversation. My mother of course disagrees with this idea. Hence, the closest my Mother and I have come to killing one another was over thank you letters.

Anyway, my friend recently had a bridal shower and one of the presents was from a woman and her cat. Literally, the card said that the cup was from her, but the saucer was from "Magdala," the cat. My friends obvious question was: Do I address the thank you letter to the woman and the cat? Or just the woman? Or do I write two separate thank you letters?

I had an immediate flash forward to me in twenty years. Will I be that woman? I mean, I already send out Christmas cards from myself and Sidda. And my mother sent me a Mother's Day card to my work address from Sidda. I admit these are both borderline "cat lady" habits. But will I take it as far as giving wedding presents from the two of us? Furthermore, if I did - would it be THAT bad?

Would you be totally weirded out if you received a cup and saucer from a cat? I mean people leave provisions for pets in their will. In fact, I recently heard of someone who was left provisions to be caretaker of some cats. Once the cats all pass away (assuming they die of natural causes) then the caretaker will be deeded the home. So, then would it be weird for him to use some of the provisions to send presents to family members. Or would this be highly unethical? I mean in reality he has to take care of cats for the remainder of their life - so isn't this all semantics.

In reality, wouldn't you just be happy to receive a present, no matter who it is from? Rather than dissect the weird idea that an animal sent you a present, shouldn't you be rejoicing over your cup an saucer? Yeah, if the world only thought like this - this isn't reality. The world is going to totally judge the fact that your pet sent them a present.

Thus, I told my friend to address the thank you letter to the woman and the cat. You have to acknowledge the pet if the pet is going to acknowledge you.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey ~~ Don't knock it; some of my best pieces of jewelry came from Matt, Baylor & Annie ! Trust me. . . I NEVER complained !

Popular Posts