Sidda, the Police, and her Grandparents

Well, Mom and Dad (grandparents) had a little scare last night from their grandkitten. Apparently, at some point yesterday, Sidda escaped out of the back door and Mom did not realize it. She called me at some point yesterday at lunch and said she couldn't find Sidda, but she knew she was not outside. I figured she was probably somewhere sleeping. So, Mom left to run errands and what not.

Fast forward to about 10:30p.m. last night when I got a call from Mom. I immediately heard Sidda in the background, but Mom said "everything is fine, but I have something to tell you." She launched into this ten minute explanation of how Sidda may have escaped yesterday into the outdoors. Finally I said, "okay, what happened? What is the point of this?" Well, when Mom and Dad both got home yesterday evening they could not find Sidda. They turned the house upside down. They looked all over the backyard and couldn't find her at all. They started to get panicked and Dad said "you get in your truck and drive down the road to those homes over the way and see if you see her. I will drive out in the pasture toward the pond."

So, Mom heads over to these little homes across the field (my parents live on a farm) where a lot of cats wonder away from. When she pulled up to the first home this old crotchety woman was outside on her porch. Mom said, "my daughter's cat is lost." The woman said, "Cats" and then pointed in the direction of the next house. Mom was afraid to go to the next house and just skipped to another house that looked a little nicer. The man was really nice but told her if she was looking for a cat she should go to the house she skipped. Finally, Mom pulled up to the scary looking house.

When she walked up there was an old man and young boy outside feeding some mangy looking cats. Mom said, "my daughter's cat is missing." And they said, "what does she look like?" About this time Mom looks up and sees Sidda sitting in the window of their house. Mom said she had a look of "get me out of here." So, Mom pointed to Sidda and said "just like that." The boy said, "we got a lot of cats that look like that." The man said, "long or short haired?" Mom said, "long hair. Very healthy hair." They proceeded to act like they had not seen her even though she was sitting in their home. So Mom says, "look here is my number if you see her, please call. Your cats wonder in our yard every time my husband grills out, and we usually feed them. If they didn't wonder home, we would bring them back. In fact, there is a fox in our backyard that I have been meaning to tell you about (I personally think this is the funniest part. We have never met these people.) My husband is trying to catch the fox so that it doesn't hurt any cats. I would expect you to respect our cat like we would respect yours." (She is pretty good at a guilt trip.) Anyway, they still didn't say okay or anything and Mom leaves.

When she got home she told Dad and he said if he went over there he would just get angry and be thrown in jail. They decided that they would wait for the people to call or see if Sidda came home. Since they were supposed to have dinner with my Dad's sister, Mom drove to their home for dinner and Dad stayed to wait on Sidda.

Mom immediately began telling the family what was going on. (Luckily they never called me during this ordeal.) At this point the team effort ensued. I would like to say thank you to all in the family who participated. First, my cousin called the chief of police and asked him what they would need to do to go get Sidda out of their house. The police chief said that they needed to just have some identifying marks to be able to prove it was her. So, other cousins went to the computer and printed off the pictures I just posted of her on my blog. They found identifying marks that I had never noticed! The chief knew of this particular house and headed out to go with them to get the cat back. Once he got there they were making their plan when my Dad called.

Mom said he was screaming, "She is home! She is home!" Dad had walked outside to look again and there Sidda sat and ran inside. It had been about an hour since Mom had left that scary house. I figure they knew she knew that was Sidda and she wouldn't let it go, so they turned her loose. Or Sidda escaped on her own! Anyway, Mom held her for the rest of the night and she seems to be doing okay.

This morning when Mom woke up she asked Dad where Sidda was and he said, "she is in this house. She is in this house. She will not come when I call her." They found her in a hiding place asleep. So, Dad told me this morning that I needed to have a talk with my daughter and tell her to come when someone calls her name! I assured both of them that I will try my hardest to make any two-legged grandchildren I have be well behaved. Dad said, "just make sure they come running when you call them!" (Side note: Dad gave her a bath this morning.)

I am very grateful to all who helped in the rescue efforts. But I am most grateful for not being told about this until she was home safe and sound! God is good!

Comments

Lauren said…
That is too funny! Glad they let Sidda go!
Anonymous said…
NOT nearly as glad as I am, Lauren!
Anonymous said…
Love the story ~~ Glad it had a happy ending. Can sooo relate . . . When I left for Calif; the final words to me were not, I love you or I'll miss you, but tell Amber to mind me !!! OM
Jennifer said…
Lord, your mama told me Sidda was missing and I almost had an anxiety attack!!!
A friend of mine was cat-sitting my sis-n-law's 2 cats and "thought" she had let one out. The sitter got her husband to help in the neighborhood search - FINALLY saw the cat across a fence. The husband (not exactly a cat person) nabs the escapee, they haul it back to it's home. Later, my sis-n-law comes home to THREE CATS INSTEAD OF TWO! Sitter had stolen a neighbors cat and stuffed it in the WRONG HOUSE! Poor cat was so confused and the other two were mighty PISSED!
SIDDA - STAY HOME!!
Jennifer

Popular Posts