I Am The Wingman

In October of 2006 one of my friends in law school had broken up with her boyfriend from college, and she was ready to get back in the game. So, because I am a great wingman I was commissioned to help her on her mission. Let me say, if you watch the film Top Gun really closely, Maverick's 'wingman' was Goose. His actual character's name was Nick "Bradshaw". Maybe it is just coincidence?

Anyway, so SA decided that she was ready to start looking around. So I suggested that she talk to Brandon. She wasn't really sure, but I just knew that he was her type. We all went out to dinner one night, and the seat beside Brandon was open. I told her "get over there now." Well, they talked and kind of got to know each other, and I just knew.

So, the next week was our Halloween party. Let me say, people in law school are really serious about Halloween. Brandon and two of our other guy friends decided to go as Wilson Phillips, the early 90's girl rock band. They even went to a woman's department store and bought bra's and outfits. Before the party, SA did his make-up and I stuffed his bra. While we were getting him ready I said, "Brandon, it would be hilarious if you kissed a girl tonight, while you are dressed as a woman." We all laughed, but I just knew.

The party was a blast, and on the way home our driver got a flat tire. Please imagine two guys in dresses, Monica Lewinsky, Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, and Rainbow Bright changing a tire in the middle of Jackson, Mississippi late at night. Funny huh? So, anyway guess what happened that night? You got it, Brandon, dressed as a woman, kissed SA. I thought to myself, I knew it!

This past weekend Brandon and SA got engaged. Actually, I helped Brandon plan the engagement and I have been about to bust having to keep it a secret. While we were planning, everything that I would suggest he would say, "Katie, that is too cheesy." Finally I said, "Brandon, proposing is a cheesy thing to do any way you look at it." He agreed and we settled on a plan.

He did it on the beach! He actually snuck a bottle of wine that she brought back from Europe last summer, and had been saving for a special occasion, to the beach. Then he had goblets engraved with their initials and the engagement date (my idea) and then busted them out on the beach and proposed, shirtless. Sorry Brandon I had to add that in...too funny. Anyway, I am really excited and it has been fun, especially since I helped spark this flame. But hey, I just knew!

Comments

Anonymous said…
thanks for the help katie. The shirt-off proposal was my idea, i figured she needed to be reminded of what she was getting into before she said yes. But then again, I think any woman would have had a hard time saying no to the highly romantic casual shirt-off beach proposal.

Popular Posts