I Am Making a Commitment

Well folks, the time has come that I have decided to make a commitment to another being. No, I am not kidding. I have decided to get a kitten. Yes, I do realize that people are going to make fun of me and call me the old single woman with a bunch of cats. I am prepared for this line of jokes. However, after visiting a friend this weekend and seeing that cute little kitten, I have decided to take the plunge.

Let me first of all say, I am really nervous that I am going to let this thing die or kill it in some way. I know this is crazy thoughts, but I am not great at keeping plants alive. I finally decided that at least the kitten will make noise when it is hungry, and this is a good thing. I am not a huge dog person, and I hear that cat's are pretty self sufficient. I like that quality, and so this feels like a good fit.

Actually, what really helped me make up my mind was when a friend from college called to tell me she was pregnant. I said, are you ready for this? And she said, "ah no. I keep reading the book and everyday I figure out I am doing something wrong." I then asked, "are you going to have this baby for real, or are you going to have a C-section." She laughed out loud at this, but hey, its what was going through my head. After some thought, I decided if she can figure out pregnancy, I can handle a kitten.

Besides killing the thing, I am also worried about the fact that this kitten will grow up to be a cat. How do you keep the cat off of the kitchen counter tops and table? Some people's cats never get up there, and others do. I don't want this cat to be walking up where I prepare my food, and if you know how to keep it from doing that, please let me know. I am also really worried about cat hair. I don't like the thought of cat hair being everywhere, and also about it clawing at my furniture. These thoughts are what have kept me from taking this kind of plunge in the past.

Now, I have to figure out her name. She will not arrive until this weekend so I have some time. At present, I am thinking of Sidda. I have had a lot of negative reaction to this name, but I am thinking this is my favorite. However, they tell me she is fat so I was thinking "Pudge" from the movie Shag. That is one of my favorite movies of all time, but I don't want to give her a complex.

It is funny because I always thought that people made too big a deal out of picking their kids name. Some keep it a secret so no one else will no, then some look through astrology reports and name dictionaries to pick out good meanings. If you read the paper, some people name their kids after cars, flowers, or things they hear at the delivery. I once met some people who had two kids (their names have been slightly altered to keep them anonymous) but one little girl was named Ferrari and the other was Impala. I am going to let you make your own observations on that one. My point is, picking a name is really challenging. (Suggestions are welcome)

I never thought commitment like this could be so scary, and at the same time so exciting. Yeah, I know, its a cat. But this is a huge step for me. I feel like I am getting married and having a baby all at the same time. This is a "being" that I have to see everyday (marriage) and take care of (marriage or having a baby, depends on whomever you ask). Seriously, what if we find that we can't live together (marriage) or what if it cries all the time (baby). I think I am just thinking way too much about this and I just need to jump off the cliff and do it. So...I am.

Comments

Jenny said…
All I can say is that Lullabelle really was sealed in the wall and we had to bust through the tile to get her out. Are you ready for THAT kind of drama?? Just kidding. Good for you for making the commitment!
Anonymous said…
=) buy a water gun. when she does something you don't like, give her a squirt. she will get the picture.
Unknown said…
i like pudge! plus, if she really is fat, she'll have trouble jumping on the kitchen counter anyway.
Abby Maddox said…
I LOVE Damien Rice!!!! and big time CONGRATULATIONS to you. I am so proud!
The Jernigan's said…
Dan said, "What about Beavis or Butthead?"
HAHAAA
You could also name her Skank the second or Prep the second.

Popular Posts