Does silence scare you?

Does silence scare you? Do you often sit in silence? Do you seek to be in a state of silence? Several years ago a person who has become a dear friend led a Bible study during Lent. One week she challenged us to meditate in silence everyday. I journal, I love to journal, obviously. But sitting in silence and meditating is very difficult for me. I do not do well with doing absolutely nothing. Is it that I am bored, or that I am afraid of what the silence might reveal?

Last week I had a long conversation with a friend who is also spending a lot of time alone while studying for this bar exam. And we were discussing all of the things that we have to think about other than this test. Basically, life and where God is leading. I think it is the silence that is actually causing this deep soul searching. If you think about it, silence is not encouraged in our society. How many of us always have the T.V. on, or at the least music? I constantly have music playing. And I can honestly say that music speaks to my soul. However, I am realizing that silence can also speak to my soul.

I am reading a book written by a man who is a Quaker. I had to ask a friend who was familiar with this denomination a lot of questions when I first started reading his book. Did you know that they have no clergy? They just all come into the worship service and sit in silence until someone is led to speak. My first thought was, this would never work with a worship service full of law school students who love to hear themselves talk. On a deeper level though, it also seems like a very powerful service. Sometimes I just want to go sit in the sanctuary alone, in silence. But imagine being in a sanctuary, in silence with people who are seeking to really HEAR God along with you.

This idea of silence also calls us to be better listeners. I will be the first to admit that I should listen more. Often we would rather try and tell each other what we should do instead of listening and actually hearing each other's problems. I wonder if it is that we just don't want to identify with their problem, for fear that it will reach something in our own soul? Again, this post is probably for me more than anyone else, I know I need to be a better listener. But imagine if we all listened to each other and let God lead us as to how to resolve the problem.

I have a very small group of people that I will sometimes share my soul with and I will say "I just need to tell you." Just being able to say, this is what is in my head and in my heart, and knowing that is safe with them, but I never want them to take the problem on, I just need them to listen. It is enough to know that its not just inside my mind and heart. I am suddenly extremely thankful for these people.

Now, I am not advocating that all of you people not speak for a week. But try something this author suggested. Just sit back in a conversation full of acquaintances this week and listen for the silences, there will not be many. People will talk, even when they have nothing to say. Tonight my little kitten was sitting on my lap and she suddenly started meowing, she never meows. Therefore I knew that something was wrong, or that she needed something. It got me to thinking, dogs don't bark when they are left alone in silence, likewise cats don't meow when left alone in silence. Why, as humans, are we so scared of being in silence? (And I think animals must think we are really loud.)

Seriously, I challenge you, as well as myself, to be still and listen for that inner part of your soul that speaks your truth. Fortunately and unfortunately, I think it is found in the quiet of the spirit and listening to other's spirits. Maybe through the silence and listening we can actually help each other more than any advice or opinion ever has before.

Comments

Popular Posts