They Don't Advertise for This on Hallmark...

For the last two weeks I have had recurring fever blisters, cold sores, or whatever you want to call it, on my mouth. I am under some stress right now, and that is when I get these things. I can't seem to get them to go away, and the latest one has my teeth, gums, lip and head hurting. I could have ripped someones head off on Monday night because I was in such pain.

Anyway on Tuesday mornings I meet some good friends for coffee. I happened to see one at church on Sunday and she told me to get Abreva. It helped dry it up, but the other symptoms were still there. Long story short one of my friends' examined me and called me in some Valtrex. I had never heard of Valtrex, and had no clue what it was used for. I rarely take Advil or Ibuprofen or anything like that, basically I really don't like to take medicine. But I am in serious pain and I am in need of help. So, I went to my local drug store, that I frequent at least every other day, and picked up my Valtrex.

From there I headed straight to the law library. The first thing I did was Google Valtrex. Why, you ask? I am in law school we question everything, and I wanted to know what the side effects were going to be. Well, if you don't know this already Valtrex was originally intended for Genital Herpes. I had know clue. I emailed my friends and asked them if they knew this, and they have laughed all day. Apparently there is a commercial that says "don't let herpes slow you down, use Valtrex." I watch HALLMARK and HGTV, if I watch T.V., they don't advertise for this on those channels. Actually they probably do, but I don't watch a lot of T.V., at least not enough to notice.

This conversation has led to me being made fun of by many many people. Don't worry I find it completely funny, and have not taken offense to any of it. The really funny thing is, I honestly had no clue what it was for, and wouldn't know right now if I hadn't been curious. I was a little afraid of writing this post because I didn't want to offend anyone, but one of my friends encouraged me to just talk about it. Let me just give you a little information about herpes. It is a virus that causes chickenpox, shingles, cold sores, and genital herpes. The fact is most people have had a form of this virus, so its really nothing to be embarrassed about. Hopefully in six days I will be completely healed. And GG, never fear, I am not letting this slow me down!

Comments

Emily Chappell said…
I had the shingles one very-stressed semester in college. The doc gave me a scrip for Valtrex, but I waited until my mom could mail me some samples because I didn't want anyone to see me picking it up at the university pharmacy. I'm feeling your pain. :)
Katie B said…
Maybe they should advertise for all the things the virus causes.
Unknown said…
aw katie b! herpes is the gift that keeps on giving :)

i'll vouch for you though. plenty of people take valtrex for cold sores!

lindsay p
Anonymous said…
I cannot imagine that your mom is going to like this blog if Hooters was inappropriate.

Popular Posts