It Has Been a Weird Week

I guess everyone probably thinks I dropped off the face of the Earth. I am sorry, I have been on Spring Break and it has been one long road trip. I haven't had time or internet to blog. I am back though! The lingerie party went well. I ended up creating a "love basket" at the suggestion of a friend. My friends were a little shocked by what I actually put in there, but I thought it was hilarious.

The most random things have happened to me this week. Some I will share and some I will not. I am not sure where to even begin. I guess I will begin with my grandmother, Granny. I went down to visit her early this week and she had just returned from the funeral of a former pastor of her church. The pastor and his wife were dear friends of my grandparents. In fact Granny said, "I guarantee you that J.O. (my grandfather) was standing there with St. Peter, saying "I know this fellow, let me welcome him on in." I thought that was funny.

She told me that their church was this pastor's first appointment out of seminary. So, my grandparents invited them over for dinner one night after they had moved in. When they arrived my grandparents and all the children were sitting around the dining table right off the kitchen, and not at the dining table in the dining room. The pastor's wife said "this is so funny to me, usually people get out the fine china and eat in the dining room when they invite the pastor over." Granny said, "well around here, you eat like family."

Anyway, his funeral service was apparently extremely uplifting and really moved Granny. So what did she have me do? That's right, I had to help her plan her funeral. She is basically blind, so I had to write down everything that she dictated. I kept saying, "isn't this kind of weird?" She kept telling me she just didn't want the service botched. I see her point. Let me tell you though, we covered it all! She asked me to give her eulogy and I agreed, but only if I could tell about this really funny experience that we shared. After some prodding and the promise not to mention names, she agreed. It was the oddest conversation ever, but honestly I think it is a blessing.

Yet, the entire time I thought, "this has got to be the weirdest thing a grandchild has ever done." But then I found out this doesn't hold a candle to what she asked an older cousin to do a couple of weeks ago. He would probably die if he knew I was writing this, but it is hilarious. Now, he is in his late 30's and is very modest, almost a prude. So, a couple of weeks ago everyone in the family that lives near Granny was out of town, except for this cousin. She called him in a panic and said "I need help, get over here." Thinking she was having a medical emergency or was on the floor and couldn't get up, he rushed out the door, rushed in the house and she said "I can't get my bra on!"

I don't make this stuff up people! The crazy thing is, I haven't even begun to tell you about the rest of the week. For now, I think this is all you can handle....

Comments

Anna said…
oh Granny Janie...she is a handful!
Donna Lewis said…
I can't wait until I have to call Ben B. over because I can't get my bra on! hahahahaha! I just love your stories, especially Granny Janie stories. I just love her!

Popular Posts