It's Just Me

Today's post isn't going to be your typical top five things. In fact, I am not sure I am going to name five things, I might even name more. But over this past week I have had several conversations that have led to me thinking about the top five things I appreciate about about single, and living alone.

1) I can change clothes as many times as I want to. Sounds crazy? Let me explain. On Tuesday I got up really early and just put on some random clothes and went to coffee. Then I went home and took a shower and got dressed and put on a suit to go to the commission hearing, for work. Then I put on some different clothes because I wasn't going to sit through class for five hours in a suit and pantyhose. In between all of that clothes changing I stopped by a friends' office to get a book she is letting me borrow. She had seen me at coffee and knew I had on a suit earlier, and she said "You have changed clothes four times today!" I didn't get where she was going with this. She said "I tell my children they better put on what they want to wear for the day, I am not going to do that much laundry." I said "But It's Just Me." I only do laundry for one. What is the difference between one pair of jeans in the wash, and two pairs in the wash? I am sure on some environmental level there is, but to me it looks empty to just wash one pair. So you see, it matters not how many times I change clothes!

2) I can get dressed naked if I want to. Now this is going to shock some of you people. And in fact this might be a little racy for some people out there. I have had this conversation with some of my friends in law school, over and over again. Some of them don't like to talk about being naked. Others will tell you all about it, and I am not talking about sex people. I am laughing out loud right now because they have been daring me for weeks to talk about being naked. Well, here you go. The thing is some people get right out of the shower and put on clothes. They don't like the thought of being naked and walking around their house. My point is whether you do or don't mind walking around naked, it doesn't matter when you live alone!

3) I can live for months without going to the grocery store. Honestly I do go months without going to the grocery store. I survive by shopping at Walgreen's and the Dollar General. After this cold sore deal this week, I am slightly weary of going back to Walgreen's, but I have to. The people in there know me, literally I go at least once a week, usually more. I don't frequent the Dollar General quite as much, but I just think that is the greatest store. Don't ask me why. Up until this point and time it has been a secret thing, but now you guys know, I love me some Dollar General! The great thing about the Dollar General is, every store carries different things. No kidding! But since it's just me, I can sustain life without going to the grocery store, its truly a great thing.

4) My home stays as clean or as dirty as I personally want it to be. I clean a lot, and I like for things to be straight, well except for my desk. But if I don't want to clean, it doesn't bother anyone but me. Actually I think this is one of my favorite things because I like things to be clean and no one else is going to come in here and make it dirty. Yeah, I think that is why I like this one. I do realize I will have to compromise on this if I ever decide to get married. But the truth is I haven't found anyone I am willing to compromise with yet.

5) I can listen to a song on repeat as many times as I like. I have a record player, and an Ipod radio player, and many concert DVDs. I listen to a lot of music, actually I listen to music rather than watch TV. The great thing about living alone is if I find a new song, I can repeat it over and over and no one is going to say "let it go, lets listen to something else." In fact I take the liberty of listening to songs on repeat. This really comes in handy when I am trying to learn to play a song on the guitar. I just listen to it over and over until I have it down. So you see why I like this one?

These things may seem rather dumb to you people, but they are some of the small things that make me appreciate living alone! Think about the small things that you love, even if you don't live alone. I suspect there are things about having children and being married that you love that I can't understand. I encourage you to write them down and appreciate them! Life changes and you must enjoy every place you are in life in order to not live in the Dressing Room!

Comments

KatieT said…
Katie,
I have been living under a rock and just discovered your blog! I cannot get enough and find myself laughing outloud in class, not appropriate. I love reading it especially the Bob-a-lu story. My Mom still talks about her skates with blue poms on them and her skate case! Love it!!!:)Come and visit soon. Ella Kate would love to show you her new moves (ie crawling and pulling up)
Rebecca Beers said…
bradshaw - i too, when i lived alone, took a long time to actually put clothes on after getting out of the shower. i still do, actually, but luckily for charlotte, her room is far away from mine and i keep my bathroom door closed. i can appreciate your living alone virtues because i treasure them myself!

Popular Posts