Latte Things

I would first like to say that my mother and I have had a little tiff over my blog. She is embarrassed at many of the grammatical choices that I make when writing. I told her that this is not a law school paper, I do this because I enjoy it. For that reason, I can start sentences with And or But and I can run on my sentences, and I don't always have to use commas. She still thinks that I should be embarrassed. Maybe I should be, but I thoroughly enjoy this and I try and make this sound as if I were in the room talking to you. I will say for a couple of days I was a little weary of continuing my blogging. But, I have decided if it really bothers people that much they will not continue to read this. Frankly I enjoy writing it, so if you enjoy reading it, then so be it and we shall continue.

Like I have said before, I meet some friends on Tuesday mornings for coffee. It baffles me that every morning parents bring in their kids, I am talking as young as 4th and 5th grade to get their lattes or whatever for their ride to school. This adds up over time if you think about it, and being on a student budget, I have been thinking about it. It probably costs an average of 3-4 dollars a day for the kid's latte. Add that up over a week and we are talking $20, this doesn't include school lunch, recess or any after school treats. I had dinner with a friend tonight, and she was telling me that she saw on TV that some woman spent most of her families' money at a coffee shop, crazy.

When I was in elementary school my dad took me every morning and dropped me off, and picked me up in the afternoons. He would get up early and cook my lunch. I must say I was kind of spoiled in that department, he would make fried chicken or fried shrimp or whatever I wanted. I never really had boring turkey sandwich lunches. But every morning it was the same routine, "Daddy can I have some money for recess?" And he would say, "Now Katie, explain to me again what this $2.00 is buying." Every morning I would explain how to get a drink and a snack at recess it would cost me $2.00.

Thinking back on this, I must say it was a rip off. We didn't even get a can drink or a bottle drink. Nope it was one of those machines that the little cup dropped down and then it filled it up. Remember those? It was basically carbonated water. And there was this man that filled up the machines, we called him "The Candy Man." He would always show us his socks, they were always really crazy looking. And he drove this truck with this rigged up thing on the back that held all the snacks. I think one of the last times I went to see my parents I saw the man, and he still had that same truck.

My point is if I had said, "Dad can we stop at the coffee shop so I can get a latte?" He probably would have said "What the hell is a latte?" And then after the explanation, he would have said something like "I can spend my money on a latte better things than that." Now, I don't have children, but after much contemplation, I say "Amen Dad, Amen."

Comments

Jenny said…
This "Candy Man" distubs me. Has he been investigated?

Popular Posts