Can I give her your number?

I don't understand reality television. What exactly is real about it? When in real life are you put in a home, with ten random strangers, and watched constantly by cameras, while one person is voted out a week? Or when exactly are you stuck on a deserted island doing random games everyday in order to sleep in a hotel for a night, all in hopes of winning a million dollars? They don't offer a course on that in law school.

My mom loves these shows, and other shows that I haven't mentioned. Now, I love my mother, but she does this thing that really bugs me. What does she do? Well, every night and sometimes in the middle of the day she will call and say "Turn on the T.V. to so and so channel." Tonight she called at 8:00p.m. and then again at 9:00p.m. I did not answer these calls, because I knew she was calling me to tell me to turn it on some T.V. show. Finally about 9:30p.m., I called her back. Sure enough, she said turn it on whatever channel, there is a show about newlyweds.

I assure you, I called her out on this habit. I told her "I didn't answer earlier because I knew you were calling both times to tell me to turn the T.V. on a show." She started laughing, because SHE KNEW I was right. I reminded her of the incident during exams, in December, when I was studying for a really hard test that was the next morning. She called and said "turn it on HGTV, there are homes that are decorated for Christmas." I politely told her that I was going to take one of the hardest exams in law school the next morning, and she proceeded to get angry that I wasn't in the spirit. And one day last week she called in the middle of the day, while I was at my internship, to tell me to watch some random show!

Tonight she wanted me to watch a reality show where newlyweds were put in a home together to get to know each other or something. Why would newly married folks want to go on national television to get to know each other? Seriously, wouldn't you want to be home alone getting to know each other? Now I have never been married, but if I am wrong on this, please let me know.

I am not going to lie, I have been watching two reality shows recently. I liked Project Runway, and I love Millionaire Matchmaker. Let me defend my choices, first of all, all of the people on Project Runway are actually really talented. They aren't just in some home playing dumb games, they are really talented. And the fact of the matter is Millionaire Matchmaker is real! These men are millionaires and this woman sets them up with women, and she is a third generation matchmaker. It is a fascinating show. (Oh and I did watch "My Redneck Wedding" last week, one episode, hilarious, but it was all I could take.)

But people, I promise to never call any of you and say "turn on the T.V. to this show." Watch what you want to, and I will watch what I want to. I promise not to push any show on you. But if you like all these shows, can I give my mom your number? I am looking for someone for her to bond with over television....

Comments

Unknown said…
you know i watch lots of reality tv! your mom has my number :)

lindsay
Anonymous said…
She & WC watch Monk & compare OCD traits!! I forbid them to watch just in case they pick up new things :)
Anonymous said…
Just so all you peeps out there in bloggerspace know, Katie B's mom has endured weekend marathons of Murder She Wrote, Matlock, and yes, Run's House! I do not feel the least bit guilty for calling her and asking her to watch something. Usually, it is something really bizarre about to happen or be shown, and I just want to share the laugh. I have received nuuuumerooous phone calls at all hours just to listen to a good story. The least KB can do is reciprocate to her aging mom.

Popular Posts