See you in the new year

I find New Year's Eve to be completely overrated. I have nothing else to say about it. Oh, except I like saying "see you in the new year."

I have a couple of things to share with you.

1. Do not go see the movie Australia. It was really bad and a waste of money. I went with a friend who knows that I talk during movies. I kept my mouth shut for the first 2 hours and 15 minutes, but I couldn't hold it any more. She had to put her head down and laugh for the last 45 minutes. How many times can one person play "Over the Rainbow" on the harmonica? And how many dramatic lines can one movie hold? By the last five minutes we were all laughing because it was predictably dramatic. Honestly, it was as though there were two different movies. In the beginning it was a little funny and there was some cheesy cinematography, but then all of a sudden it turned into a "Pearl Harbor" remake with a kid. I am sure some of you have seen it and loved it, but imagine me standing on one leg "singing you home" - I know you are laughing.

2. I met the most "interesting" woman ever yesterday. She is in her late 70's and a member of my church. I just met her for the first time and she started telling me how she had written a tell all book about her life. Apparently her husband was a minister and cheated on her with some potato queen.?. I got the story of her life in five minutes and then she said "can you unzip my shirt for me?" And I said "Ma'am?" And she said "Can you unzip my shirt for me? My ex zipped me up this morning when he brought by my alimony check, but I am going to need some help getting unzipped." What do you say to a woman in her late 70's that needs help unzipping her shirt, at church? I unzipped her shirt and she continued to walk around with her shirt flapping open- true story. All the while she had this other woman typing a letter for her, on my "word processor," to Martha Stewart. I will have to write more about all of this later. The point of this is - you never know who you will meet at church.

3. I guess this is my last post of 2008. It has been fun blogging and reading all of your blogs. I wish I could host a big party and meet some of you - maybe next year? Anyway, I have no reflection really on 2008 - I guess my blog is a good indication of how it may or may not have been as a year. I have no New Year's Resolutions either, I just hope that I live each day to the fullest of my ability. I hope 2009 is blessed for all of you and your families. I guess I will "see you in the new year!"

Comments

Lauren said…
I think New Years is overrated too. That's why I'm reading blogs at 5:45 on New Years Eve! I treat it like a normal day. The only thing I enjoy is telling people, "See you next year!" when I'll see them the next day. Ha!

We had so much fun at the wedding and wish we could get together like that more often. I love yours and Sidda's Christmas card too.
Robin said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abby Maddox said…
You are crazy. I loved loved LOVED Australia and so did Jeremiah!!!! It was really fun to hang out a couple of weeks ago...and I am interested to know what you decided to do about your Christmas presents...:)

Popular Posts