Retiring the Old Blue Back Pack

I guess its time to hang my old blue back pack up. I have had this back pack since I was in college. It is from L.L. Bean so it is virtually impossible to ruin. It is bright bright blue with some silver on it and my initials. Many of my friends have made fun of my good old back pack, but there is no sense in buying a knew one. Plus, now that I am finished with law school, I guess it seems like a dumb purchase.

Before I proceed I have to tell you, I almost ruined the old back pack once. I had this history class in college. Well, one day the girl that sat beside me started to stink, it was just a slight stinch. But over the week she really started to smell awful. So, I decided to take extra showers so I would smell really good for that class. For weeks I was complaining about this person, just going on about how bad she stunk. So about three weeks later I was sitting in my dorm room studying and I began to smell something terrible. I followed my nose all the way to my good old blue back pack. I realized that my back pack smelled like this girl! And I started rummaging through it and in the front pocket that I never use, I discovered some old milk that I had never opened. It was in one of those little card board things. I washed that back pack sooo many times. It took months for it to smell normal. But it survived!

As I was saying, the days of back packs are over for me. They have kind of been over for about a year and a half. I asked my parents for a briefcase last Christmas, so that I could get it worn in. I didn't want to be that squeaky know absolutely nothing at all, young lawyer with a new shiny briefcase. So, I have been slowly carrying this briefcase instead of a back pack. But every now and then I need to remind myself that I am a student and I bust out the old back pack.

I am no longer a student folks. On Friday morning I officially graduate from law school. What does this mean? No, I am not yet a lawyer. I have to take the bar. I will be in Bar Review classes for the next 8 weeks. So for all of you that keep saying "oh, aren't you so excited" and "oh aren't you glad that is over?" NO, actually I am not. I am about to go through some extensive studying, and hope that I pass the bar.

Also, if I happen to pass the bar? Well, I will now be subject to malpractice. No, I can't answer any legal questions you may have. I can look them up for ya, but it will cost ya. It also means I can no longer answer questions, "You should hire a lawyer." I think this also means I will be subject to more lawyer jokes. If you can find the shirt that says "Talk is Cheap. Until you Hire a lawyer." Please buy it for me, I will pay you back.

I am telling you all of this to say, I really will miss the days of my back pack. If I could go back and do it all again, I wouldn't. It was fun, but I am ready for the next adventure in life. Unfortunately, I think the adventure starts sometime after the bar. Don't worry folks, I am really excited about it all, and I will never throw that back pack away.....I might need another degree :)

Comments

The Terrys said…
I have the LL Bean backpack I have had since 1997. I never bought a new one for school...hahaha. I bet all my friends make fun of mine too! Although, my dog has managed to eat (yes, that is right-EAT) the zipper part of the second smallest compartment and now it just kinda hangs open. I don't use that part anyway...so I STILL am not buying another. I mean, I only have a year left! CONGRATS on your granduation!
Anonymous said…
I have a red one and that story about the mild disgust me. =)
Anna said…
where are you my little friend?

Popular Posts