I Made A Lawyer

I graduated from law school last Friday. It was actually really fun. We had to sit in alphabetical order and I got to sit by a really good friend. We talked the entire time, and I think the people around us were a little annoyed. Several people's names changed during law school, some were married, some were divorced, some have an up in the air relationship status.

My family was there and we had a really nice time, but my grandmother did not get to come over for the graduation. The ride was a little too long for her and she couldn't make the trip. When I called her after it was over with she said "Well I am so glad you made a lawyer." Then one day this week I was talking to a cousin and she said Granny told me this week that "she wants you to make an author."

She has always used the phrase "he is making a doctor" or "he is making a lawyer" or "he is making an accountant" or "he is making etc." I do not understand this? There was no hammer and nail used in the construction of my future profession. When I think of the word "make" I think of actual physical construction of something. Physically, I lost weight, then gained weight, then lost weight, then gained it again, thus keeping me physically changing during my law school career. But I am not physically made into anything different.

Sure, some of you are thinking, well, you made grades. The thing is I never made any grade, I earned grades. That is one thing that people in my generation tend to forget, you never get a grade you don't deserve or that you didn't earn. Unfortunately my law school has an unbelievably low curve, it was a C when I began and now it is a C+, meaning most people in a class will get a C or a C+, while other schools use a B or a B+ curve. However, whatever grading curve is used, you still EARN grades. You never MAKE a grade.

Usually when you make things, something new appears. Nothing new appeared when I received my diploma. Does that happen if I pass the bar? I don't know. I guess my mind was molded and shaped into something new. Unfortunately what it was molded and shaped into is my ability to always spot the liability in any situation. Actually, I constantly think things like "oh I should get insurance for this" or "oh they really need insurance for that." Is this what you want your mind to be molded and shaped into? Is this what my mind is "made" of now?

I don't have the answer to understanding how I may or may not have been "made into an attorney." I do know one thing, I "made" some incredible friends. Law school is almost like going to war. Imagine sitting in a class room with ninety people that you don't know, and the professors is drilling each of them with questions that there aren't really answers too. Well, there are answers, you just don't know them.

Once a professor told this guy "do you realize everyone in the room is laughing at you?" We weren't for the record. I had no clue who this guy was until the end of exams our first semester. We were all hanging out and I said "who are you" and he said "the guy everyone was laughing at." We have been friends every since then.

The bonds you form with these people are indescribable. This last week I think everyone started realizing how deep these bonds are, and I suspect many people were surprised. Everyone is scattering around the country. The last three years have been very difficult, but it was worth it to have all these friends I have "made."

Comments

The Jernigan's said…
I am SOOOO happy for you ""making a lawyer!" Congratulations! Come home and call me when you do. I'd love to hang out.
Lauren
Emily Chappell said…
Congratulations Katie!!! Welcome to the real world. :)

Popular Posts