Just To Do It

Why do we buy things that we don't need? Sometimes I can talk myself into the dumbest things. For instance several weeks ago I bought two different kits to grow some plants. One of them was a kit to grow peppers and the other was for tomatoes. Now each is contained in a little red bucket, they look exactly alike. I personally never thought that I could get anything to grow.

To my utter dismay one of the buckets is actually growing something. I say growing something, because I didn't label them, and I have no clue which is which. Once these little plants get about three to four inches high, a friend of mine is going to let me plant them in her family's garden. I was telling my grandmother that I was growing these plants and she said "Katie you don't even eat tomatoes, why are you trying to grow them." I told her because the kit was only a dollar and I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Then today, a friend of mine told me her husband bought a Bowflex machine at an auction. She isn't sure why he bought it, and even his children asked him why he bought it. Basically, they have been laughing at him. Apparently he has no time to work out except really late at night, but he insists that this is great with him. He thinks it will help him sleep better. She thinks this is going to work against him, and he will be up all night. (I joked that we should all go and eat some cookies and ice cream and sit on the couch and watch him work out for a joke, but I am not that mean.) I can tell you why he bought it though, just to see if he could do it.

My dad is always bringing home random things. Last year he brought home a counter-top that heats big soup bowls. It had been torn out of an old restaurant that had a soup buffet. Mom said, "what are we going to do with that?" His theory was, when he cooked lots of soup, it would keep it all warm. He is a fabulous cook, but this thing is for three different soup pots, at five gallons a piece. He also brought home this soft padding puzzle floor that parent's buy to put on the hardwood floor for small children. It was all free, and he said he just might need it sometime. I can tell you why he brought this stuff home, just to see what he could do with it.

Why is it that we are drawn to stuff such as this? Stuff that is either marked down, on sale (probably because it may or may not work), stuff that other people are essentially throwing away, and random trash that should be discarded. Somehow some of us look at this stuff and see a treasure, or something that we can use to better ourselves, or better others. While we see treasure, other people see nothing but trash, or nothing but something to clutter up their lives.

Fortunately, God has a constant vision of seeing the treasure in everything. He can use people, everyone, for treasure. Even when the world looks at someone and says "ooohh they are soo bad, such a sinner, or so poor, or too rich to possibly care about others, or dumb, or not talented", God says I can use this person for my good. Its kind of amazing isn't it? He can take something that should be discarded, change it, and feed many people. He can take someone, make them exercise themselves and they become stronger in their faith or in their work for him. And sometimes he even takes someone with a cold heart, with no love, and waters them in order for them to grow...The difference is, God isn't doing this just to do it, he does it because he loves us.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am so proud of you, you have such insight ~~~~ OM

Popular Posts