Things I Don't Understand

1) Dancing With the Stars
My mom came to visit this past week. We had a great time, but she has all of these television shows that we had to watch. Anyone who knows me, knows that I don't watch television. I would rather read or listen to music than watch television shows. However, for the sake of spending time with my mom, I tried to watch her shows. The first night was "Celebrity Apprentice." I still don't understand what they will be "hired" to do - as the actual apprentices did in past seasons - but I did get that the point of the show was to raise money for charity. In the end, it wasn't that bad, although, mom fell asleep and then I had to explain half of the show to her the next morning - which made me wonder why we had to watch in the first place.

Anyway, then we had to watch "Dancing With the Stars." For the first ten minutes I tried to watch and be mildly interested. But then I kept thinking - what is the point. Why do I want to watch a bunch of celebrities learn to ballroom dance? Honestly, I don't understand the gist of this show? I think there are some things that you shouldn't film yourself doing, dancing being one of them. Would you want to be filmed when you dance? Think about it, dancing is a really silly thing - you are moving your body in the most awkward and silly ways. It is kind of like listening to your voice on your answering machine - I don't like hearing myself and I certainly don't want to watch myself dance. So, finally I asked her, "what is the point?" She gave me some long answer about how she had been watching the show long enough that she knew the technical aspects of the dancing. Apparently, she knows what the judges are looking for and that is what she is looking for when she watches. Then she reminded me how she used to be a dancer yatayata... I still don't get it.

2) Corsages
Growing up my mom and grandmothers always wore corsages on Mother's Day and Easter. Why is that? Why do people wear corsages? I looked it up on Wikipedia and there was a one sentence description of corsages - A bouquet of flowers worn on a woman's dress or worn around her wrist. Corsages are often worn by the mothers and grandmothers of the bride and groom at a wedding ceremony.[1] Were corsages just something dreamed up by florists years ago or is there actual meaning? I just keep imagining a florist trying to figure out how to expand and market her business and then having an - "aha, we could get people to wear bouquets of flowers on their wrists or on their lapels and make them feel extra special" moment. If you think about it for a minute the idea was brilliant. Yet, they still remain a bouquet of flowers worn on a dress or arm...

3) Hallmark Movies
Although I have stated above that I don't really watch TV - I will get sucked into a Hallmark movie every now and then. BUT why is it that they all have happy endings? Not only do they have happy endings - their endings are incredible and sometimes far fetched. Sometimes I wonder if I feel more disappointment in life because I only watch the Hallmark Channel. Do you think these movies are altering my sense of reality? I guess they just make things look too easy. Those folks on Hallmark are always successful and always fall madly in love. What really gets me is that no matter what, I always have a lump in my throat by the end of the movie. I always feel so cheesy and then completely embarrassed that I let a movie with a false sense of reality affect me. Today I texted a friend who reads Nicholas Sparks and said "do you feel cheesy when you read his books?" She said "Completely." I feel ya - its completely cheesy, but as I write this I am sucked in again (and I have seen this one before.) Oh well, I guess somethings we will never understand.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Darling, you will understand these things sooner than you think!

Popular Posts