What Font are you?

In my job, I am always having to use different fonts and find fonts to fit certain occasions. I have learned that people have really strong feelings about what font is used. In fact, I heard that there was a committee once that studied which font is better for bulletins. I honestly have never paid that much attention to the bulletin font.

Today I have been working on an insert for our Easter Lilies. (side note - if you are interested in buying an Easter Lily, let me know.) We use Calibri all the time at church. I think we over use it and I am sick of it. So, I emailed two different people and asked them what font I should use for my fancy little insert. They both said Arial!!!!!! I thought to myself, "Arial? For a nice insert? Come on, I need something fancy." I was so disturbed that they both chose Arial.

This got me to thinking - does the font you prefer say something about you? Do you have a font that defines you? The two people who both suggested Arial, are two of the most opposite people I know - and they are both very un-blah. Why is Arial always a choice of font in any program? Do you think it is the clean skinny lines? Think about it, you rarely see short fat fonts such as Braggadocio as a common option.

In college I had a couple of friends that loved Curlz. I think they grew out of that though. Curlz is such a sorority girl font. Wouldn't you agree? The funny thing is, most of those girls are married now. During the time they liked Curlz, I really liked Andy. It is such a carefree, good time kind of font. It says "I am all about fun. No structure here." Does this mean Curlz girls get married and Andy girls are single?

These days I am really into Palatino Linotype - I think it is professional but not Times New Roman drab. However, Palatino is not edgy and it is borderline boring. This post has made me realize, I am borderline boring! I tend to prefer a nice homecooked dinner and a good book to a bar and a crazy night. What happened to me? Do you think if I go back to Andy my social life will pick up?

Now that I am thinking about moving, I should choose a new font - change the direction of my life. Looking through the many fonts, Cambria or Harrington both stick out to me. In fact, Harrington is a mix of Palatino and Curlz. But that anti-commitment thing pops in my brain anytime I see a Curlzesque font. (I think there IS a correlation to marriage.)

Anyway, you may think this is all a little crazy and far fetched. However, I suspect that if you take a closer look at your favorite font, it will say something about you. Think back over the years and ask yourself "has my favorite font changed?" I would venture to say - it probably has. And if you are one of those people that just goes with Times New Roman because that is what was already chosen - live on the wild side and pick a font. Let me know what you are...

Comments

Lydia said…
You are so funny! I am totally a font girl! In my mind, different fonts are appropriate for different items. Some of my favorites are Copperplate Gothic Light, Occidental, Liorah, Lydian (for obvious reasons!), Papyrus,and City Blueprint (reminds my of my interior design days!)

Now that I'm embroidering, I do use Curlz often...seems to look good 'written' out in thread!

Katie, I think we can formally be classified as dorks now! haha!
Unknown said…
my favorite is wingdings. i use it all the time.

I watched a documentary about the Helvetica font on PBS you might like: you think you take fonts seriously, ha. just listen to these pompous europeans talk about helvetica.

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=271403
Lauren said…
Funny! I like Georgia. It's a lot like Times New Roman but WAY cooler!
Hillary said…
You crack me up! I like Comic Sans.. wonder what that means?
Emily Chappell said…
I understand this more than you can possibly know!!! We have the font fight often at our church. I just did an Easter Lily insert and used A Yummy Apology--very curlz-esque.

My new favorite everyday font is Technical.

I like Andy, too. :)
Anonymous said…
This is so ironic.... I read your "font" blog last night. I thought, "huh, that's interesting", but I didn't really think too much about it. Then, today I began working with a graphic designer who's creating my "logo" to go on the new merchandise, etc. He sent me to www.dafont.com to choose the font that I like the best for my name. I am having the hardest time!! Your right, the font represents so much about a person! It's difficult to choose a font to represent all facets of your own personality!...Does it say you're uptight, free spirited, girlie, eccentric, etc? Anwyho, check out the website when you get a chance. You may find one that everyone likes for the bulletin :)

Popular Posts