I Need a Digital Camera

I am one of those people that still prefers a camera with film. In fact, I have a Minolta from circa 1985 and it is the best camera ever. Well, only if you are going to take black and white pictures, without a flash. Some mirror has slipped inside the camera and it is going to cost me an arm and two legs to get it fixed. I keep googling "how to" sites in order to fix it myself, but I haven't had the guts to give it a shot yet. The other problem with a camera that uses film is, buying the film! A young whipper snapper that was working in the store a couple of weeks ago said "yeah, we don't keep a lot of film. NO ONE uses it anymore." Thanks buddy, I do.

However, I realized this weekend, I must invest in a digital camera. I went to see PAULA DEEN, and all I had was my camera phone. Therefore this is what you get:



This is Paula with Michael (her husband for all of those reading this that are not fans) and a local celebrity chef. Paula is taking a swig of her "diet drink" and watching them cook. She didn't cook anything. Well, she did rub the meat a little bit, she loves a good piece of meat and muscle. (Also, for all of those non-fans. You should read her memoir.) Anyway, Paula was soo funny.

She wanted to be funnier but some of these folks in the audience weren't taking the bait. There was a lot of hairspray in that room. I felt like I was at a retired beauty queen convention - and a bunch of conservative beauty queens at that. If you read Paula's book, actually, WHEN you read Paula's book - you will discover that she has an edgy sense of humor, kind of like my own. And her husband Michael is freaking hilarious.

Beauty queens and camera aside - I haven't laughed that hard for that long a period of time, since I don't know when. My friend and I were both doubled over laughing. One of her jokes was a little raunchy and I was trying to hold it in and I couldn't. The little old ladies around me didn't even get it, or at least they didn't act like they did. If you ever get the chance to go see her - do it. I promise you will love it, even if you know nothing about her. She is a hoot and it was a great day!

Comments

Melissa said…
Oh, I LOVE me some Paula Deen. In fact, when talking about her, my mom and I just refer to her as Paula and we know who the other is talking about! Digital cameras....not sure how much you're wanting to spend, but my pick is to go with an SLR type. Since you love your film camera, if you go with a point and shoot digital, you'll probably be frustrated at the delay in how long it takes to take the picture. With an SLR, it "feels" more like your film camera. I have the Canon Digital Rebel XT, but it's several years old and there are newer versions of it now. I've been been "stalking" for a while and love your blog!
Anna said…
we are about to get a new camera- I will pass my other one on to you...it's not a total piece of crap!!
Anonymous said…
While it's true that D-SLRs do have the film camera feel they do have some drawbacks when compared to point and shoot digital cameras. They are large and bulky so they will not fit into a pocket or purse which makes them awkward to carry around. They are also expensive. The cheapest D-SLR will cost around $500 and may not come with a very good lens or any lens at all. You can get a good point and shoot for under $200. But if you are serious about photography and don't need a camera that you can stick in your pocket then a D-SLR is the way to go!
Anonymous said…
You know, you kind of have Paula's hair in your price is right pic.

AA
Anonymous said…
Anna L.Barron, Since I can't remember my password and you do not accept anonymous comments, I just wanted to tell you that I am so Excited! The ultrasound pic is amazing. It becomes more real when your stomach pooches and you can feel it flutter. But BABY B is growing and thriving. Tell Benjamin "cute as a button" hello. Oh, I am contemplating some sewing classes to update on baby items. Love, Susan

Popular Posts