Single Shopping

I haven't been to the grocery store in over two months. No joke. There are a variety of reasons for this a) I don't like going b) I always end up spending money that I don't have and c) I end up wasting food because I never eat it all and then it goes bad. However, I woke up this morning and I have no food. Literally, I have nothing to eat.

For the last several weeks I have been able to make food from scratch because I happen to have some basics, but I am all out now. I have been making chicken and dumplings because my dad gave me some frozen chicken thighs the last time I was home, and I have flour and water. I even tried making homemade biscuits a couple of weeks ago. I called my grandmother to find out how to do it, and luckily I had some buttermilk. I told her the date on the buttermilk was actually from the previous month. She told me to smell it and see if it was okay. I hold my breathe when I am around buttermilk whether it is within the date or not. So, I made my biscuits and then I got really sick. Bad buttermilk.

Last week at staff lunch I won a Brisker. I was amazed that no one else knew what a Brisker was. In fact, I actually didn't win the Brisker, someone else won it but because she didn't know what it did, she gave it to me. A Brisker will change your life. If you are single - you NEED a brisker. This is just another thing on my list of "things single people need". I think this is why single people should have showers like married people. But that's another blog for another day.

Anyway, a Brisker will keep things fresh for you. It is like a little warmer for chips and crackers and cookies. Instead of using one of those little clippies to try and keep those items fresh, you put it in the Brisker and it will keep it fresh by keeping it slightly warm. Never put cookies with chocolate in the Brisker - they will melt. However, a Brisker will literally save you money because it keeps things fresher than those clippies ever thought about. Another single lady I work with said, "I always throw crackers away because they never taste right the second time. So, I feel like I am wasting food." Amen sister. And hence folks, why I don't go to the grocery store. But now I have my Brisker and I want be wasting my money on stale crackers.

So, I sat down and made a list of all the things I am going to buy at the store. My mom just called and I told her I was going to go to the store. She said, "maybe you should take this as a day to start eating healthy and only buy healthy food." I wanted to say "Hello, the brisker will ruin fruits and vegetables," but I didn't. I did however, go on Cooking Light.com and got some recipes. In fact, they had a great article "Light Recipes on a Budget" check it out. All the recipes are freezable, so I want have to worry about wasting money.

Now that I have my list, I am off to the store. It will be interesting to see how much of this I actually come home with. Being around all those crazy women who are buying for an army, stresses me out. I am going to try and hold strong and not give up and go to Walgreens. But we shall see...this is one of those times when it is tough being single.

Comments

Anonymous said…
KB, at first glance I thought you were referring to married people and "bathroom" showers not the the "gift-giving" showers. After rereading, BOTH are great ideas for single and married people alike. So envious of the Brisker!

Popular Posts