Do you want to hear the truth?

Do you want to hear the truth? Really think about that question. When you go to someone for advice or you ask someone their opinion, do you want to hear the truth? Am I crazy to think that people do actually want to hear the truth? Don't get me wrong, I know which friends of mine would prefer not to be told the truth when they ask for advice. I try not to lie to them and instead give them a "broad answer that doesn't really say anything but for whatever reason makes them feel better."

I think our society has reached a point of political correctness in which everyone seems to be giving "broad answers that don't really say anything but that somehow make people feel better." Why is that? How did we get to that point? It is almost to the point that people are shocked by straight forward honest answers. I can't tell you how many times at work people will just act so shocked when they ask a question or when I comment on a situation and I am completely honest. Let me remind you - I work at a CHURCH. Am I off my rocker thinking that people want to hear the truth at church? My co-workers will look at me and I shrug my shoulders and say "well, it is the truth."

Let me back up a minute and just say - I know that hearing the truth is not easy. I will readily admit that. However, hearing the truth, not just listening, but truly hearing the truth, can lead to some amazing things. Last spring I asked a friend of mine if she thought I was in the wrong in a certain situation with a friendship I have. She could have easily given me one of those "broad answers that doesn't really say anything but somehow makes me feel better." Instead she said "out of love, I will tell you the truth." Then she proceeded to tell me that yes I was in the wrong. I truly believe that it was just as hard for her to tell me (because she admitted that) as it was for me to hear, but she was absolutely right! Her honesty allowed me to be honest with myself in more aspects of my life than just that friendship.

I think people are desperately seeking honesty. Don't get me wrong, I am not promoting brutal, hurtful honesty that is just stated with no thought to the person it is being thrust upon. I am talking about an honesty that comes from a place of love. I can't recall Jesus going around handing out "broad answers that didn't really say anything but somehow made people feel better." Some of his answers come in the form of parables but if you study the history of the culture you realize those parables were really shocking to the people - basically, he was giving tough honest answers.

Hey, maybe I am wrong about all of this. Maybe most of you would rather feel good about everything you do and you are desiring to hear "on the fence answers" from people. I guess I just find it frustrating to hear such indecisive answers when people ask the tough questions. Hell, I get frustrated when people are indecisive about stupid things. Last night I was watching "Made of Honor", about this girl getting married and she asks her best friend, a guy, to be her maid of honor. So, she has a trial run on her hair before the wedding - her hair looks awful. All the bridesmaids were telling him to just go with it and tell her it looks good. Finally by the end of the movie, they realize they love each other and he finally says "your hair looks awful." You could tell that one of the reasons she loved him was because he was honest with her when no one else would be.

Until we start being honest with ourselves and others, we are living a masked life. I think God wants us to share all our times and emotions with each other. But if we keep up with this "not giving straight answers" way of life, then we are in danger of living that way within ourselves. It seems like a lonely way of life to me.

All I am trying to say is, think about whether or not you want to hear the truth. If you do, then find the people that will tell you the truth - they are treasures. If you don't like hearing the truth, ask yourself what you fear from the truth. And if you are constantly giving "on the fence answers," just be honest with yourself and others - God might use you to change someones life - he used someone to change mine.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Katie, you are definitely NOT on the fence. I think some people's answers depend on the type of fence they ARE on : barbed wire fence, wrought iron fence, electric fence,or vinyl fence, . . . Translation : ify/sticky, hard core snooty, shocking, or just plain slick and weak . . .
Anonymous said…
Yes, I agree! Yep! I was going to say that exact thing! You're right.

Popular Posts