Reading List

For all of you that didn't get a Christmas card from me - sorry, it was because I don't know you, or because I didn't have enough money to send them to everyone I know. However, here is my blog version of the card.


"It's not easy being on the "nice" list."
Merry Christmas
Katie and Sidda

I can't even tell you how many pictures I took to get a good shot of Sidda. She didn't really like that little thing on her neck, but it worked out.

I wanted to tell you guys about some books I think you should read. A lot of people blog about books all the time. However, I read a lot. Like, a lot, a lot. I get this from my dad and my grandmother - they read more than I do. I read a lot of history books and a lot of murder mysteries. These aren't the kinds of books that are life changing. So, I never feel the urge to write reviews and encourage people to read them.

Over the last couple of weeks I have read some books that I think everyone should read in their lifetime. First, you have to read The Shack. I am quite sure most of you have already heard about this book, and many of you have probably already read it. But boy, this book has really opened my eyes to God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit in such a different light. I can't even attempt to go in depth about this book. In fact, I usually read a book in a day or two, but it took me a couple of weeks to read this book because it is full of rich passages. As I was beginning to read The Shack I also started reading another book, What God Wants For Your Life. The beginning of both books' discuss the terms with which we address God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. I know it sounds crazy and way out there, but give it a shot.

I was in a wedding recently over in St. Simons, GA. To get there, I went on a little road trip, and during the trip we discussed various books we were reading. One of the bridesmaids reminded me of the book Beach Music by Pat Conroy - he also wrote The Prince of Tides, great movie as well. I was pretty sure I had read this book years ago, but I couldn't really remember. So, I picked the book up and have been reading it every since then. Folks, you have to read this book. Let me warn you, it is long, but if you are from the south or if you love Italy, you will love this book. I am not saying it is totally life changing but there are some interesting lines and ideas. My favorite being the idea that the people with the best kitchens (all the great appliances ect.) are people that don't even cook. How true is that?

If you have any book suggestions for me, I am all ears... And if you take my advice, let me know what you think of these books. Happy Reading!

Comments

Lydia said…
I am glad you recommended "The Shack"...it is sitting on my 'to read' pile of books. I've heard it's great, so maybe I will start it soon!
The Christmas picture of Sidda cracks me up!!! TOO CUTE!
Robin said…
Beach Music is one of my favorite books of all times. After reading it , I got the unabridged version of it on tape and loved it even more. I must read Prince of Tides...
I have read the foreward of The Shack and really look forward to getting into it. I've heard it's fabulous!!

I'm from Dothan, so I'll have to check out Beach Music...thanks for the recommendation.

Popular Posts