I Have To Learn How To Play Canasta

This week I have been debating a move - not to another city but to another apartment. I am very unhappy with the management of my apartment complex. They do things like - not tell residents that a package was delivered for them. (They had a package of mine for over a month and never even left a note.) Anyway, I am in the market to move.

So, I have been shopping around for other places and I have found the perfect place - The Senior Citizens Retirment Community. It isn't a nursing home, and it isn't an assisted living home but a combination of those facilities -basically an apartment building for Senior Citizens. I have checked into it and I don't think there is an age minimum. Plus, this will fall right in line with my "retirement that I declared a couple of months ago." This place is not like a nursing home. You can go and come as you please without having to check out. Plus, you get breakfast and either lunch or dinner every day as part of you monthly rent.

Folks, I think this could be an incredible experience. Think about it like this: There are planned activities for me everyday when I get off of work, and not to mention my dinner will be ready when I get home. [Although I will have to learn how to play canasta and bridge, and dinner is served at 5 so it will probably have to be reheated - minor details in the grand scheme.] I will be surrounded by many other single people that can identify with living alone, and I might even get a home cooked meal a couple of times a week.

If I want to go to the bank, there is a van that will come and take me. If I want to go to the beauty parlor, there is a van that will come and take me. Entertainment is constant, and every single day they have something called the "Fan Tan." I haven't quite figured that one out yet, and if you have any ideas I am all ears. But it sounds quite intriguing. On one hand it sounds like they have a tanning bed and this is some fancy name - Fan Tan. I guess it is just part of the excitement of the experience.

There are a couple of problems that I do see though. First, I am going to have to get a walker. When I went by there this Thursday [I was going to visit an elderly lady from the church - not really checking on an apartment. So, don't freak out.] it was lunch time and there were walkers all in the lobby - like 100 or so. Walkers have really developed in recent years. They have this little padded bench now. Is that for people to rest their knee on? Or is it so they can sit down and take a break? Either way I think a walker is a must if I am going to move into this facility.

I think my dating life may be affected as well. No, not in the way you might think. Here is the thing, I bet you are thinking - what guy would go out with a girl that lives at a senior citizens' home? But I think the problem will be that all these senior citizens are going to want me to go out with their grandsons. Really! Think about how your grandparents try and pawn you off on people they consider "nice" or "marriage material." What if some of these old people get it in their mind that I should marry their grandson, and then I have to go out with some goober guys all the time to please these people - I am a people pleaser... Yeah, this could be a problem.

Or, I could become the Retirment Center relationship counselor - I seem to have become that at the church. You laugh, but there is a lot of dating and what not that goes on at Senior Citizen Facilities. My grandmother was a nurse in a nursing home for years, and trust me they keep "dating." What if they all come to me for advice? It could happen. A lady at church came to me last week to tell me she had been on her first date in 39 years. I of course have no filter and said "wow, you must have been nervous?" Sometimes they just catch me of guard and I don't know what to say, but don't worry I recovered and encouraged her to keep dating. I am telling you though, people are drawn to me for dating advice and I just can't do this in the Senior Citizen department.

All of that aside, I think this idea has potential. I will let you know what I decide. For now I am headed to the library to pick up Canasta For Dummies......

Comments

Anonymous said…
You ain't right! But don't stop writing!
Anonymous said…
I know!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan-Tan

I think you would be a hottie and old men would want to date you.

aa
Jenny said…
This is hilarious! BY the way, I love Canasta! Grandma and I used to play it all the time!
We can give you canasta pointers. chris and i just learned how to play. don't lay all your cards just because you have them. you gotta know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. as for the grandson dating scenario, date one that has a wealthy grandparent at the retirement center. there might be a nice inheritance in the future. just a thought. keep writing. we are really enjoying your blog now that we found it. chris and katherine
Alexis said…
Girl - I will move there with you! I think it is a brilliant idea!
Alexis
Emily Chappell said…
Katie, you are hysterical. And I think this is a great idea!!!

Popular Posts