Jesus Isn't Eating Ice Cream and Cake Somewhere Else

A few days before Christmas a friend of mine picked up her daughter from pre-school. When she got in the car my friend noticed that her daughter had food all over her. She said, "Lily, what is all over your pants?" And Lily said, "cake." My friend said, "well, what is all over your shirt?" Lily thought a minute and finally said, "that is ice cream. We had a birthday party for Jesus, but he didn't show up. I guess he ate his cake and ice cream somewhere else."

I laughed and laughed about that story. But you know, sometimes I feel that same way. Although I know that Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit are with me, I still wonder whether or not they are truly "with me." I want to shout out "are you eating your cake and ice cream somewhere else right now?"

Do you ever feel like this? For the last several months I have been asking God to lead me, to show me what he wants from me, and for me. I have prayed, and prayed, and prayed. I have prayed "where do you want me to live," "where do you want me to work," and "what is it that you want my life to look like?" Unlike Samuel, God hasn't spoken to me directly, yet. (I am not giving up hope.) Hey, I am just being honest with you - it would be a lot easier if I heard a "Morgan Freeman" type voice say - "and now Katie you will do X."

One of my friends reflected this weekend that "maybe we are in a season of patience." Maybe we are, but as I have mentioned before, "I don't remember praying for God to teach me patience." For months now I have felt as though I am in a holding pattern. However, that is looking at my life through MY eyes and not Christ's eyes. In the last week I have realized that although I may have felt on some level that I was in a holding pattern, I have actually been doing a lot of growing. AND maybe God has been forcing me to be still enough to hear his "call" for my life. Don't get me wrong, I still don't know exactly what that is, but I am positive that he really has been with me this entire time.

I didn't write this for all of you to psychoanalyze me or anything. My hope in sharing this is to let all the rest of you out there, who may be asking God the same types of questions, or waiting on that Morgan Freeman voice, to know that Jesus isn't eating cake and ice cream somewhere else. He is with you, and me. I suspect that if we take a closer at our clothes, we will find a little ice cream and cake!

Comments

Anonymous said…
great thoughts. love new background. please consider lightening a tad for old folks
Jenny said…
Katie-
Love this blog. I think sometimes even when we are not asking for patience (which I have not been asking for either) God is yelling at us that we need to practice it. I think we are all in a holding spot now, which can be very difficult. Give me a call - I was so sad I missed you the other day! Loved your sweet voicemail though!
Emily Chappell said…
I, too, often ask for the Morgan Freeman voice. So far, haven't heard it. :(

Love your transparency.
Anonymous said…
KB ~~ After reading the Shack, maybe I am listening for the wrong Voice.

I use to tell God that I didn't expect to hear a booming Voice give me instructions everyday, but it would be nice if I had a memo sitting on my island every morning telling me what I needed to do. One morning when I got up I had left my Bible sitting on the island. I felt like He was saying "Okay, Here's your memo, now read it!" OM

Popular Posts