My New Adventure

I am not sure I mentioned it earlier but I am commuting everyday about an hour and twenty minutes. Honestly, it is not that bad of a drive, but the first week I decided I might need to find someone to stay with some. Sometimes I have to be at the Courthouse really early and being a little closer would be nice. I was not sure where or how to go about finding someone. Well, I did talk to one girl but it didn't work out because of allergies etc. Other people were really worried about me finding someone, but I just never worried - I knew things would work out.

Well, since I have a lot of driving time I have been calling and catching up with people I haven't talked to in a while. I knew a friend of mine from college was planning to move to Jackson with her husband and her child, so I called last week to see if they were here yet. She told me they had just moved and both just secured jobs. She was asking me where I was working and after I told her she said, "oh, my grandparents live there!" Long story short, not thirty minutes after we hung up she had talked to her grandmother who said she would love for me to stay with them. I went by to visit last Friday to meet her and I just loved her! We even made a plan for me to stay with them last night.

So, yesterday afternoon I was talking to my friend Anna, who just had the baby but hasn't revived her blog yet, and I was telling her about staying with them. She said "ahhhh, do you even know them?" And ya'll, the absurdity of the situation hit me and I started nervously laughing out loud. Luckily my office is back in the corner of the courthouse so that no one could hear. All Anna could say was, "I guess this is blog material. People probably think you make this stuff up, but you really don't." Nope folks, I don't.

I finally stopped laughing and I kept telling myself, "this is going to be a wonderful adventure." When I got to their house, I realized, this is going to be a great new adventure. They are wonderful people. She is such a wonderful conversationalist and we have a lot in common. Plus this morning she had homemade strawberry jam that I ate with my toast, and that sealed the deal!

It is funny how things work out. I can't help but think about what this is preparing me for. In fact, after talking with Granny tonight, this may be preparing me to learn to live with other people. Sounds crazy, but I am an only child, and I have been living alone for about four, almost five years. I keep telling people I have no idea how marriage would work out, because I am used to living alone. Who knows, right? Either way, this is definitely a new adventure in my life, and one I never anticipated.

Comments

Lauren said…
I am laughing so hard right now. Only YOU would stay with someone's grandparents! I bet they LOVE it. This is the most exciting thing for them, I'm sure. So are you just staying with them some nights and going back to your place other nights, or what? Are you going to eventually find your own place close to work? Maybe you should just move in with the grandparents!
Katie B said…
Hahaha...it is funny. I am only staying when I have to be here really early for trials and such. Otherwise the drive isn't that bad. Since the clerkship is only for a year, I am not sure I am going to move closer - I just moved and it is expensive to move. Plus, I am thinking about moving to another state...
Anonymous said…
If she is counting on her mom to help her move, she WILL NOT be moving again any time soon!!
Kelsey said…
Best line: "we actually have a lot in common." I always forget that you are an 80 y/o trapped in a 27 y/o's body!

Popular Posts