Getting Into the Grind

I am slowly adjusting to my new job...slowly. Mainly, it is the schedule that is killing me. I am not used to having to get up so early. Last night I was energized when I got home - first day and all. But today I am feeling exhausted. I have to get up an hour earlier tomorrow in order to go to my first trial. Although, there is a chance the guy may plea and then I would have gotten up early for him to plea and nothing to happen. I am taking the chance.

My schedule hasn't been this demanding on my body/system since the first/second year of law school. That was when I would get up and get going really early and not stop studying until I went to sleep really late at night. It is kind of fun to be challenged like that again - something about it is motivating. Although when I came home today and I could tell Siddalee had taken advantage of this rain and napped for most of the day - I was a little jealous. Cats have the life.

I am listening to a book on my commute, The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand. It is extremely intriguing thus far. I will give you a better review when I finish. If you haven't listened to an audio book - you should. I feel like I am accomplishing two things at once. Plus I kind of have reader ADD. Actually, I have learning ADD. I went to a liberal arts high school and a liberal arts college and I suspect this has a lot to do with it. In that environment, you are encouraged and required to study many different subjects to make you a more well rounded person.

Therefore, I like to read many different things at the same time. So, at night I am reading C.S. Lewis' The Four Loves. I wish I could tell you some intellectual reason why I chose this book, but I really just picked it because of the title. In fact, while I was in the book store I started thinking about how most of the "classics" I was required to read through the years, I didn't like. Honestly. Take Jane Eyre for example - I got so bored and fed up with the imagery that I stopped reading it about four or five chapters from the end. I thought to myself - "I am not reading anymore about the way the freaking garden looks as they long into each other's eyes. And surely, they are just going to get together in the end and live happily ever after."

Well, the first day of school we had the pop quiz for our summer reading, Jane Eyre. As I read the questions I kept thinking to myself, is this a joke? Who is Bertha? What fire? Come to find out, I stopped reading the book right before everything exciting happened. Who knew he was going to have a wife in the attic that would burn the house down? If I had known that, I would have skipped all the beginning chapters and just read the good stuff. Obviously, I failed the quiz. I am sure all of my English teachers are cringing right now, but honestly I just never learned to enjoy imagery. Please do not psychoanalyze me for it.

So, now I am off to bed because I have to rise before the sun. I guess I am getting into my new grind...

Comments

Anonymous said…
when life gives you dead daisies, paint a life of roses with imagery

Popular Posts