No Plastic Masks Here

I should be studying for the bar instead of writing, but I promise I am about to head to the library. Also, after you read this you are going to think I am the craziest person ever, unless you already think that. But I am under a lot of pressure, so just go with these thoughts.

This morning when I woke up the first thing I thought about were those stupid Halloween costumes that are only a plastic mask over your face and a plastic apron-like thing that tied around your front. Remember those things? My first Halloween I was a Chipmunk and I had this mask that looked like a chipmunk in the front and then it had a little white string that wrapped around the back of my head. The little apron had a picture of a chipmunk and then had "Chipmunk" written on it, as if you didn't already get it.

How absolutely uncreative is that? And now that I think about it, why did my mom make me a chipmunk? The next year I think I was Strawberry Shortcake, forever a hero of mine, but it was that same stupid plastic stuff. As I am sitting here writing this all I can think of is the fact that my mom is a really creative person, what happened Mom? Don't worry though, it wasn't just you. The other night I was looking through a friend's old photos and she was a ghost at her first Halloween. She had on a little sheet, and her mom had written "Casper" down the front of it. Our other friend said, "why did she write Casper, it was pretty obvious you were a ghost?"

Oh and by the time I was in the third grade I had a B cup bra, and by the time I was in the fifth grade I had a C cup. So you know what I was ever Halloween from the third grade to the fifth? Dolly Parton! Seriously, not lying. Didn't even have to stuff my bra, it was already done. No creativity. I think I stopped dressing up after that.

Forgive me if I have already written about this, but honestly this is one of those things that I get all worked up about every now and then. And don't worry I have made up for it the last several years. I am all about the homemade costume, I don't buy a ready-made costume. There is not fun in that! In college I was a complete bag of M&M's one year (total cost $10), then I was a peanut (my grandmother made the outfit), then I was a person in a bathtub taking a bubble bath (total cost $10), and finally I was a gumball machine (about $5).

My first year of law school I didn't dress up for Halloween, I know, boo. However, my second year I convinced my friend Tim and his girlfriend at the time to go as Bill, Hillary, and Monica. It was hilarious. And then this past year I went with a group of six others and we were the cast of the Prices Right. The picture of me on this blog is from that night, and yes, that is my real hair. I went to a local department store's hair salon and had my hair set and teased. Glenda, with the most beautiful mullet ever, did it for me. I kept saying "this is awesome" and she would say "honey, I do this everay day." It took two and a half hours and cost me $22, but it was worth every penny. If I ever get the video of that night I will upload it on here.

Anyway my point is, I often wonder why I spend 364 days a year planning for what my costume will be on Halloween. (And no I am not telling what I have in the works for this year.) I think it stems from the lack of creativity in my childhood costumes. Please if you are a parent and are reading this, give your kids their creative freedom to be what they want. That way they want end up like me, trying to make up for it the rest of their lives. Loose the plastic mask, get some masking tape and make your own costume! Honestly, it is cheaper that way. And for all of you that had to wear those dumb things as children, I feel your pain. You have my permission to wear a costume to work this week....

Comments

Lauren said…
One year I was Barbie for Halloween and the costume was a plastic Barbie mask and a plastic apron with a dress printed on it. I don't think it said Barbie on it, but maybe it did. Why is that they 1st thing you thought of when you woke up????
Anonymous said…
please let me defend myself. At the point in your life of your 1st Halloween, as was about as stressed as you are right now. Dropped you at daycare @ 7 a.m., taught until 3:15, drove to TSU main campus, arrived home @ 11;30 p.m. 4 days a week. Spent weekends doing library research and/or projects. Oh yea, somewhere in there I had a one-year-old!HELLO! Yes! I bought the plastic, uncreative, unimaginitive costume! I so apologize. At least you had a costume and did trick-or-treat!M

Popular Posts